Is my SSD Broken?

Floris-Jan Hagen

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hello all,

I recently bought a SSD and now my pc doesn't boot windows up anymore...
I had shut down my pc in a normal way yesterday, but now after the BIOS logo there is a message saying I need to choose a bootdrive or insert one. My BIOS does not recognize my SSD, altough my HDD and CD drive still do. I had played around with some cables, but nothing solved my problem. I just have the SSD since 1.5 month, so I didn't make a back up yet on my HDD... Fortunately I didn't do much work on it and my last big project was just handed in last weekend. I mostly play games on my desktop.

Thanks in advance for any sugestions or answers.

Floris

System Specs:
Windows 8 64b
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Intel i5 3570K 4Ghz
Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz
Nvidia GTX 770
OCZ 600W
Samsung 1TB HDD
Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD (The 'Problem')

JMR120600

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
From what I can see, your motherboard has 2 sata controllers. One controller controls the grey ports, and one the black, Can you put the SSD into the other colour port. And also remove the HDD. Can you also possibly the SSD To your nearest PC shop to get them to test to see if its still working.

Also is everything else in the system running fine and have you had any power cuts/surges recently?

Floris-Jan Hagen

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Something must have happened between yesterday evening and today morning, I was at the university so I don't know if there were any power surges... My system runs fine. I've changed from coloured ports and disconnected the cd player and hdd, still no recognition by the motherboard... The SSD does get a bit warmer so power is delivered to it. i'll go to a PC shop tomorrow, I already mailed the shop were I bought it

JMR120600

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2013
Ok. Was there anyting important on the drive?
because sorry to sink your hopes if there was.. but data retrieval from an SSD is near impossible.. especially if it was caused by a power surge, as flash memory is very sensitive.

toomas

Reputable
May 16, 2014
Dear Floris,

You are not the only one. I had similar accidents 3 times with SSD drives. First I replaced my old hard-disk with 500GB SSD. It crashed similarly withint 1 month. Then I asked it to be replaced. Again crash occured in a similar time frame.
Later the shop changed the manufacturer of this SSD to Samsung. Samsung 500GB worked almost fine, until recenetly.
It did not crash permanently but crashed a lot.
Also copying of this hard drive was impossible.
Just recently I deceided to start from clean table and decided to try 1000GB Samsung SSD.
After windows installations (officce and antivirus as well) everything weemed normal. I extracted the computer from shop.
It crashed during the first reboot and it crashed permanently.
Tha is why I deceided to do some internet research about it. And your experiece is very much similar to mine.

I have HP Elitebook 8740w. :(
So now I do not know if SSD drives should be futher trusted or shall I go back to old ways.

TRENDING THREADS