[SOLVED] Is my system bottlenecked?

Solution
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about it.

Yeah, I have bought the CPU already.
Alright, well as I've outlined there will be some instances where the CPU's low core count can bottleneck the RTX 2080. Most of the time, though, this wont be the case and the RTX 2080 itself or the CPU's single thread performance will be the bottleneck instead. The 9600K's single thread performance is nearly the best you can get right now so there's nothing you can do about that.

It's an OK match up but not what I'd consider ideal.

I'm going to be throwing an RTX 2080 into a 9-10 year old system (see signature for "Gramps") just to see if the common "you only need a quad-core" myth should now be considered 💩.
Feb 28, 2019
A 9600K is plenty fast, even if it will not quite match a 9700K or 9900K of course...

It's certainly not as if it were an i3-8100, etc...

(That being said, I'd sell off a pint or two of plasma and shoot for the 9700K if possible!)

GOod luck with your build!
Thx for the info

compprob237

Distinguished
Everything is a bottleneck if you boil it down.
Get a powerful enough GPU and now the CPU is a bottleneck.
Go purchase a more powerful CPU and now the RAM is a bottleneck.
Buy faster RAM and now the GPU is a bottleneck again...
And repeat ad nauseam.

Now for a more practical look:
In some cases the low CPU core count (relative to the 9700K/9900K) can possibly be a bottleneck. Most games are either GPU-bound or CPU single thread performance bound. The 9600K has very good single thread performance and the RTX 2080 has very good performance. So, except in the instance of a game wanting >6 CPU cores then you're not "bottlenecked" by those two components. Although, I would suggest you consider the 9700K for longevity if you haven't purchased the system yet.

Feb 28, 2019
Everything is a bottleneck if you boil it down.
Get a powerful enough GPU and now the CPU is a bottleneck.
Go purchase a more powerful CPU and now the RAM is a bottleneck.
Buy faster RAM and now the GPU is a bottleneck again...
And repeat ad nauseam.

Now for a more practical look:
In some cases the low CPU core count (relative to the 9700K/9900K) can possibly be a bottleneck. Most games are either GPU-bound or CPU single thread performance bound. The 9600K has very good single thread performance and the RTX 2080 has very good performance. So, except in the instance of a game wanting >6 CPU cores then you're not "bottlenecked" by those two components. Although, I would suggest you consider the 9700K for longevity if you haven't purchased the system yet.

Yeah i was a bit concerned about it.

Yeah so i have bought the cpu allready

compprob237

Distinguished
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about it.

Yeah, I have bought the CPU already.
Alright, well as I've outlined there will be some instances where the CPU's low core count can bottleneck the RTX 2080. Most of the time, though, this wont be the case and the RTX 2080 itself or the CPU's single thread performance will be the bottleneck instead. The 9600K's single thread performance is nearly the best you can get right now so there's nothing you can do about that.

It's an OK match up but not what I'd consider ideal.

I'm going to be throwing an RTX 2080 into a 9-10 year old system (see signature for "Gramps") just to see if the common "you only need a quad-core" myth should now be considered 💩.

Reactions: Antonpa
Solution
I'd consider an i7 7700K pretty close to top tier still and that is below the i5 9600K. Now think about that for a minute. Just because it says i5 doesn't mean it's going to bottleneck your system any more than the i7 would. The Core i7 9700K just barely performs better. Maybe when more than 6 true cores is truly necessary I'd say you might want to upgrade your CPU.

Reactions: Antonpa

compprob237

Distinguished
I'd consider an i7 7700K pretty close to top tier still and that is below the i5 9600K. Now think about that for a minute. Just because it says i5 doesn't mean it's going to bottleneck your system any more than the i7 would. The Core i7 9700K just barely performs better. Maybe when more than 6 true cores is truly necessary I'd say you might want to upgrade your CPU.
4 physical CPU cores < 6 physical CPU cores
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-9600K-vs-Intel-i7-7700K/3337vs2874