[SOLVED] Is my system broken? Weird graphical glitches.

Nov 4, 2020
Hey! I’m experiencing problems with my computer and would like some help to figure out what might be the cause of this issue. It looks like this: View: https://imgur.com/a/NTWTSAh

My system is from 2012 except for the PSU that is about 4 years old.

List of the specs:
GPU: GTX 670 (asus)
Motherboard: Asus sabertooth z77
RAM: Corsair cml16gx3m2a1600c10 - x2
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W
CPU: Intel(R) Core i7 3770K

The screen displays weird graphical artifacts and will crash. The first time it just happened randomly while I was browsing the web and not running any performance heavy programs or games. The screen got all messed up and then turned black. I had to restart and everything was as normal, for a while. After an hour or so the same thing happened, the screen turned black.
I decided to restart and do some of the diagnostics I know of. I did a virus check and found no virus on the computer. Next, I checked the RAM by running “mdsched.exe”, and everything was fine. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo to see if there was something wrong with the SSD and still nothing.
I did some Windows updates that I had not done before to see if that would fix the issue. But it did not. It took less than 10 minutes after the Windows updates had finished for the same things to happen only this time I got the blue screen. The computer restarted and the graphical bugs where there even before I got to the login screen. I can start the computer and login but it does not look pretty.
I’ve restarted the computer without anything plugged in except the screen and the same thing happened (The screen is fine, tested it on another system). HDMI cable did not work when plugged into the GPU or the motherboard, the only cable that works is a DVI cable. I manage to enter the BIOS screen, but mouse/keyboard did not respond.
Are any of you familiar with this type of issue or know how I might approach this to solve it?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help in advance!

Solution
I would think your symptom suggests either a monitor failure or a graphics card failure.
Try using the integrated graphics adapter to see if the artifacts go away.
GTX670 is getting old(some 8 years) and would be my guess for the source of your problem.
Hey! I’m experiencing problems with my computer and would like some help to figure out what might be the cause of this issue. It looks like this: View: https://imgur.com/a/NTWTSAh

My system is from 2012 except for the PSU that is about 4 years old.

List of the specs:
GPU: GTX 670 (asus)
Motherboard: Asus sabertooth z77
RAM: Corsair cml16gx3m2a1600c10 - x2
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W
CPU: Intel(R) Core i7 3770K

The screen displays weird graphical artifacts and will crash. The first time it just happened randomly while I was browsing the web and not running any performance heavy programs or games. The screen got all messed up and then turned black. I had to restart and everything was as normal, for a while. After an hour or so the same thing happened, the screen turned black.
I decided to restart and do some of the diagnostics I know of. I did a virus check and found no virus on the computer. Next, I checked the RAM by running “mdsched.exe”, and everything was fine. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo to see if there was something wrong with the SSD and still nothing.
I did some Windows updates that I had not done before to see if that would fix the issue. But it did not. It took less than 10 minutes after the Windows updates had finished for the same things to happen only this time I got the blue screen. The computer restarted and the graphical bugs where there even before I got to the login screen. I can start the computer and login but it does not look pretty.
I’ve restarted the computer without anything plugged in except the screen and the same thing happened (The screen is fine, tested it on another system). HDMI cable did not work when plugged into the GPU or the motherboard, the only cable that works is a DVI cable. I manage to enter the BIOS screen, but mouse/keyboard did not respond.
Are any of you familiar with this type of issue or know how I might approach this to solve it?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help in advance!
Use this to stress test your ram instead
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2ISV0728w

I really do believe it's ram related.

Let memtest86 run overnight since it will take a loooong time. if it has errors or if the computer is off or screen is black then It's definitely highly unstable.
Do you have any spare ram to try on it?

I would think your symptom suggests either a monitor failure or a graphics card failure.
GTX670 is getting old(some 8 years) and would be my guess for the source of your problem.

Solution
Nov 4, 2020
Thank you very much. The graphics card was the problem and is now removed. I had the problem earlier however, that the display would not show anything using a HDMI cable. So before removing the graphics card I had to go into BIOS enable the integrated graphics card on the motherboard as that was not set to igpu by default. Now my systems working again. Thank again!