Is my system capable of overclocking?

Mxkyle124

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
I am fairly new to overclocking, and I wasn't sure if my system is even capable of being overclocked. I was just looking to get a bit of an extra boost while I save up money to get a new graphics card.

I currently have a 3.3Ghz six-core fx-6100, and an AMD Radeon Hd6450

Any help as to what program I can use or if my CPU/gpu is even overclockable would be great.

Thank you

Solution

Haha this is the first PC I bought, it introduced me to the computer build realm.

Yea you're going to want to install a good cpu cooler before you consider trying a real overclock on this rig. Consider a Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig cooler

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Capable of? Yes...

Should you... I don't know. I can;'t find any info on the motherboard use (which can vary, depending on what Cyberpower have on hand when they're assembling), and the pic on the Amazon link looks like a stock cooler, which will limit the cooling ability somewhat.

Your GPU likely could be OC'd a little, but it's pretty dated at this point. If it's struggling to keep up in games you want to play, an OC may help a little, but even budget options (like an RX460 or 470, or a GTX 1060 3GB) would all be substantial improvements.

Mxkyle124

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016

It is an MSI 760GM p-34 (fx)

And yes I am saving up to get a 750ti FTW

dylanestrada

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015

Haha this is the first PC I bought, it introduced me to the computer build realm.

Yea you're going to want to install a good cpu cooler before you consider trying a real overclock on this rig. Consider a Hyper 212 evo or Cryorig cooler

Solution

Mxkyle124

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016

Okay thank you so much!

Mxkyle124

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016

:pfff: :pfff: :pfff:

Well hopefully once I get my new graphics card it'll be good enough at base clock. So you wouldn't recommend overclocking even if I got a new gpu and the hyper 212?

dylanestrada

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015

You can try to overclock on that board....but it's kind of risky...have a fire extinguisher ready nearby