Is my system good for gaming??

G

I have TBird 1.2Ghz proccesor and an Asus Motherboard. I ave 256 of Ram and the BEST Maxtor 40Gb Hardrive in the world. I also have a GeForce 2 MX Card Expert. My friend has the same system except he has 800mhz and a Golden Sample Geforce 2 MX Card expert. He gets a few more frames than me. Why???????????
-Signed
Please Help
P.S. I know a lot about computers but i cant solve this 1.:(

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I guess the obvious problem would be video card drivers, his may be better.

If the video card is the bottleneck in both systems (and I don't know if it is) then drivers make all the difference.

Other cards can effect performance, e.g. soundcards with hardware acceleration that take some of the load off the processor.

Also you may have more tasks running in the background, consuming resources.

Why do you care anyway? Both systems sound very capable.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yours sounds much more powerful for gaming than his, but more information about all the hardware would help, as well as driver versions.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://netcomp.cjb.net" target="_new">http://netcomp.cjb.net</A></b>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you read Tom's Reviews you will find that past 800-900 MhZ, the bottleneck is the Video Card, not the Processor. So you could have the fastest possible machine, with the same video card as someone with a much slower config., such as your friend's, and get the same results. I would recommend upgrading your video card to a Geforce2 GTS or Ultra or the upcomming Geforce3 to get the best gaming results.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>WHAT????</b> Video card the bottle neck? Right now the narrowest bottleneck is probably the RAM. Get a 256MB stick of CAS2 Micron 7E for around $110 and you'll whoop his 800. A change to a different vid card <i>after</i> the RAM will make a big difference. And if you're going to get a new vid card I'd recommend either Guillemont or Elsa for top end and Leadtek for budget.

Your Signature Sucks