Is my T2P4 toast?

Still having problems with my T2P4.
First the keyboard stopped working as I posted about a week ago.
The keyboard fuse appears to be allright because I get continuity
through the fuse with an ohmmeter.
By the way what is the other similar looking component next to the
fuse (it also has continuity)?

Installed a USB keyboard and that worked for a few days, I could get
into the BIOS and actually type with it.
A few days later I had more problems pop-up.
When I attempted to start the computer it went into a continous loop
at the boot process.
It would do the memory check and then reboot continuosly, I could
still get into the BIOS with the USB keyboard so I went in and
disabled the USB function, the computer would then boot, re-enable it
and immediately back to the continuous reboot.

I went into the device manager and system and there are absolutely no
USB items listed at all.
Would I be correct in thinking that this would indicate a major
motherboard problem and the motherboard is indeed toast?

Thanks

Hi,

did you check the battery?

Erik

dubcek@bratislava.sk schrieb:
> Still having problems with my T2P4.
> First the keyboard stopped working as I posted about a week ago.
> The keyboard fuse appears to be allright because I get continuity
> through the fuse with an ohmmeter.
> By the way what is the other similar looking component next to the
> fuse (it also has continuity)?
>
> Installed a USB keyboard and that worked for a few days, I could get
> into the BIOS and actually type with it.
> A few days later I had more problems pop-up.
> When I attempted to start the computer it went into a continous loop
> at the boot process.
> It would do the memory check and then reboot continuosly, I could
> still get into the BIOS with the USB keyboard so I went in and
> disabled the USB function, the computer would then boot, re-enable it
> and immediately back to the continuous reboot.
>
> I went into the device manager and system and there are absolutely no
> USB items listed at all.
> Would I be correct in thinking that this would indicate a major
> motherboard problem and the motherboard is indeed toast?
>
> Thanks

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:49:51 +0100, Erik Höck <erik-hoeck@t-online.de>
wrote:
How do you check the battery on a T2P4?.
It's one of those combined RTC and battery pack assemblies.

<dubcek@bratislava.sk> wrote

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:49:51 +0100, Erik Höck <erik-hoeck@t-online.de>
> wrote:
> How do you check the battery on a T2P4?.
> It's one of those combined RTC and battery pack assemblies.

If your battery is the problem (it may not be), here's just one page
out of many on the subject:

http://www.geocities.com/markuskauer/rtc.html

Just be VERY careful if you try this. It's possible to kill the chip.

The battery pins are bent upwards for the factory connections, and due
to the metal fatigue that it causes, it's a one-shot deal.. the pins can't be
un-bent without breaking off. If they do break, it's possible to cut or grind
the plastic case material back just enough to expose the pin's wide metal
"base" and solder a wire to that.

I did this for another board with a Houston Tech RTC, but I used the corner
of a sharp chisel to knock out a V-shaped notch right above the pin's base.

I assume your RTC is a Dallas or Odin?