Question Is my temps too high for gaming?

Jun 12, 2022
Hi folks,

I'm sharing a screenshot from HWmonitor where you can see current value (when discord+chrome open), min and max. Do you think my values are fine? Especially CPU Max value concerns me. Also, lately I started to have huge fps drops.

View: https://imgur.com/a/rM66pZv

This is after a few hours of Dota2.
resolution: 1440p
Everything is on and set at highest.

My specs are:
Mobo: B560-G
CPU: i7-11700KF
CPU Cooler: Sychte Fuma 2
Thermal Paste: Arctic MX-4
GPU: RTX 3060 EVGA XC
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fans: 3 intake fans in the front(1 Corsair stock, 2 Arctic P12), 1 exhaust at the back (Corsair stock), and 1 exhaust on top, right above the CPU (CoolerMaster StickleFlow). All 120mm fans.

PS: I have recently installed the Fuma 2. Before the temps were maxing to 100 for some CPU cores. When I first install the fuma, I think i couldn't place the thermal paste well so the temps went crazy but now, it is like this, I mean not so bad, not seeing any 100C but it is still kinda high imo.

Last edited:
The max temp for that CPU is 100C. With you max temps reaching into the low 90s things are getting a bit toasty. Would be nice if all cores and the package were in the 80s just to be safe. However, you are within temp range and probably aren't throtteling. Have you overclocked your CPU at all? The HSF you have is very good and almost on par with a Noctua D15 so there isn't really anything better in air cooling. If you decide to go to an AIO you case supports a 360mm front radiator or 280mm top. There isn't much performance difference between 360s and 280s. The 280s are usually quieter than 360s though.

Jun 12, 2022
The max temp for that CPU is 100C. With you max temps reaching into the low 90s things are getting a bit toasty. Would be nice if all cores and the package were in the 80s just to be safe. However, you are within temp range and probably aren't throtteling. Have you overclocked your CPU at all? The HSF you have is very good and almost on par with a Noctua D15 so there isn't really anything better in air cooling. If you decide to go to an AIO you case supports a 360mm front radiator or 280mm top. There isn't much performance difference between 360s and 280s. The 280s are usually quieter than 360s though.

Yeah, I thought the same, perhaps 80Cs would be okay but 90Cs are still too high. No, I didn't do any overclocking. Yesterday, I had some serious FPS drops when playing CSGO but a restart seem to have fixed the issue.
Could the high temps for the CPU be because of the poorly applied paste again? Because when I first installed the CPU cooler, I probably did a really bad job because 4-5 CPU cores had kept bouncing up to 100C when stressing the CPU in cinebench. Then I reapplied the paste and it is much better now yet it still have some space for improvement in terms of temps.

Yeah, I thought the same, perhaps 80Cs would be okay but 90Cs are still too high. No, I didn't do any overclocking. Yesterday, I had some serious FPS drops when playing CSGO but a restart seem to have fixed the issue.
Could the high temps for the CPU be because of the poorly applied paste again? Because when I first installed the CPU cooler, I probably did a really bad job because 4-5 CPU cores had kept bouncing up to 100C when stressing the CPU in cinebench. Then I reapplied the paste and it is much better now yet it still have some space for improvement in terms of temps.
Yeah the temps can be from poorly applied thermal paste. Having too much paste can have the same effect as too little. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-do-i-apply-thermal-paste/

However, don't forget that those cores could also be boosting to higher clocks and thus creating more heat.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You have some other temperatures there reporting in the 100s, that is not ideal. Likely the VRMs throttling power to the CPU.

You might consider pointing a fan directly at the area around the CPU socket.

Consider also setting a power limit in the BIOS on the CPU to something reasonable like 125W and see if your performance becomes more consistent.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How about some pictures of the PC's interior, showing the cpu cooler and other fans? [PLEASE remove the side panel before you take pictures.]
You must use an image hosting site, like imgur.com.

Having too much paste can have the same effect as too little.
This has been exaggerated. Excess paste is going to get pushed off the sides of the IHS. It's just a little messier and wasteful.

Reactions: jeremyj_83
Jun 12, 2022
Yeah the temps can be from poorly applied thermal paste. Having too much paste can have the same effect as too little. https://www.pcgamer.com/how-do-i-apply-thermal-paste/

However, don't forget that those cores could also be boosting to higher clocks and thus creating more heat.
I always do the X method. Whenever I tried Dot, it got worse temps. Probably I'm squuzing too much. Here is today's values. I played a couple rounds of Dota2 and 1 game of CSGO.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Zscbgsm

Jun 12, 2022
You have some other temperatures there reporting in the 100s, that is not ideal. Likely the VRMs throttling power to the CPU.

You might consider pointing a fan directly at the area around the CPU socket.

Consider also setting a power limit in the BIOS on the CPU to something reasonable like 125W and see if your performance becomes more consistent.
You are talking about the temps on MoBo, right? I checked those but couldn't find anything meaningful. All I understand is they are not measured correctly because there is no sensor.

I'm not familiar with the BIOS but I will check and get back if I can find anything that I can relate with power limits. Or I can simply google it for my Mobo. Thanks!

Jun 12, 2022
How about some pictures of the PC's interior, showing the cpu cooler and other fans? [PLEASE remove the side panel before you take pictures.]
You must use an image hosting site, like imgur.com.

This has been exaggerated. Excess paste is going to get pushed off the sides of the IHS. It's just a little messier and wasteful.
Here you go! This was a prebuilt in a cramped case and I eventually had to swap case. This is Corsair 4000D airflow, and it is pretty much all mesh so I think airflow is good inside. I didn't remove the cover as I thought this will do but if there is anything specifically you would like to see, please let me know. Thanks!

View: https://imgur.com/a/rhtKDXe

Here you go! This was a prebuilt in a cramped case and I eventually had to swap case. This is Corsair 4000D airflow, and it is pretty much all mesh so I think airflow is good inside. I didn't remove the cover as I thought this will do but if there is anything specifically you would like to see, please let me know. Thanks!

View: https://imgur.com/a/rhtKDXe
Doesn't look like your front fans are spinning. Does this have a case fan control? Are the fans connected to a 4pin PWM?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't remove the cover as I thought this will do
The reason for removing the glass panel is for the chance at seeing clearer images and to avoid light/LED reflections, as well as reflections of other presences in the room - including you.
The number of times myself and others have asked OPs to post system images only to be able to see their faces reflected in the glass... I have long since lost count, but I think it's over 50...
It's a just in case, but here, the image is ok.

The fan setup and orientation looks correct. That said, that top fan could be screwing with the air passing between the 2 Kaze fans.

Jun 12, 2022
Doesn't look like your front fans are spinning. Does this have a case fan control? Are the fans connected to a 4pin PWM?
they are all spinning, I just checked again now. I think the backside of the fans made them look like they are not spinning in the picture. Only 2 arctic P12 fans are not PWM (front top and bottom) but they are also connected to this Fan splitter which makes them like PWM as well.

Jun 12, 2022
The reason for removing the glass panel is for the chance at seeing clearer images and to avoid light/LED reflections, as well as reflections of other presences in the room - including you.
The number of times myself and others have asked OPs to post system images only to be able to see their faces reflected in the glass... I have long since lost count, but I think it's over 50...
It's a just in case, but here, the image is ok.

The fan setup and orientation looks correct. That said, that top fan could be screwing with the air passing between the 2 Kaze fans.
Oh I see. I have been thinking about it as well. I can give it a go without that fan and share the result. I was actually going to get rid of that fan initially but it is a nice one and I'm using it to control other non-PWM fans in the front.