Question Is my thermal paste conductive?

Jan 5, 2020
So I bought a Cool Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition. SO I'm a super paranoid person and worry that I put too much of the thermal paste that came with it on my CPU. I wanted to know if it's going to be a issue and more specifically if it's electrically conductive. This is the cooler I am talking about. I have it on a MSI X470 Gaming Plus AM4.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It would depend on how you installed it. My recommendation would have been to ask these questions prior to installation...I think it would have negated the need for what was asked. :)

But if you feel you applied too much, remove the cooler and inspect the footprint and spread of the thermal compound. Based on how much you originally used, you will get an indication on the spread.

So would you recommend taking the CPU Cooler off and reapplying it?
Probably not worth it. you could try to stick a Q-tip underneath the tower and see if you have a bunch of thermal paste that gushed out from under the cooler if you really wanted to i guess, but even if there was it probably wont do any harm.

Thermal paste that comes with coolers is rarely ever conductive so you're fine. The worst part is the mess you will potentially have to clean up if you ever remove your cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Depending on how much was applied, you should be able to easily see any seepage out under the base of the 212. Hopefully thermal paste only covers the top of the CPU and not the bottom/pins, meaning you applied it into the wrong location.