[SOLVED] Is my Thermaltake Litepower 550e good enough for an RX 570 4GB?

Feb 2, 2022
I have recently bought a pre-built computer, and I'm planning to upgrade it by buying a graphics card. So far I've been looking towards an RX 570 4gb, and I'm planning to buy one. Will my PSU be able to handle it?

The parts I'm using
Intel i3 10100f
8 GB Ram 2666hz
1TB HDD
128GB SSD
Thermaltake Litepower 550w

I have recently bought a pre-built computer, and I'm planning to upgrade it by buying a graphics card. So far I've been looking towards an RX 570 4gb, and I'm planning to buy one. Will my PSU be able to handle it?

The parts I'm using
Intel i3 10100f
8 GB Ram 2666hz
1TB HDD
128GB SSD
Thermaltake Litepower 550w
It probably will, but that's a terrible power supply. Look to replace it at some point.

Agree with Chesterfield here. There aren't many PSUs on the market worse than the LitePower. We can get into all the technical reasons why that is, but instead just focus on why Thermaltake gives it only a 2 year warranty instead.

Oh, so then should I go with a 1060 (assuming the PSU will handle it better) or just upgrade my PSU first?

The sensible thing to do would be power supply first. I know that's not such a sexy purchase as a graphics card, but get a good one with decent wattage and a 10 year warranty and you'll be set for a long time.

If you tell us your budget, which country you're in and which webshop you're using, members here can make good recommendations. Jonny above is someone to listen to but there are several others who can help you choose one.

Reactions: corsifs8
Agree with Chesterfield here. There aren't many PSUs on the market worse than the LitePower. We can get into all the technical reasons why that is, but instead just focus on why Thermaltake gives it only a 2 year warranty instead.

As you rightly pointed out some time ago now, any power supply with 'lite' in the name needs to be avoided.

The last thing you want a power supply to be is 'lite'.

DSzymborski

Titan
In fairness, Thermaltake also likes to use "Smart" on junk power supplies in addition to "Lite" even though one would normally think that "Smart" would be a good attribute for a PSU, unlike "Lite."

Thermaltake has some good products, but few of them are the PSUs. Branding really cheap PSUs is Thermaltake's favorite sin, just ahead of beautiful glass cases lacking in meaningful ventilation.

Feb 2, 2022
The sensible thing to do would be power supply first. I know that's not such a sexy purchase as a graphics card, but get a good one with decent wattage and a 10 year warranty and you'll be set for a long time.

If you tell us your budget, which country you're in and which webshop you're using, members here can make good recommendations. Jonny above is someone to listen to but there are several others who can help you choose one.
My budget for a PSU is around 40-70 USD (2,000-3,500 PHP), I live in the Philippines and can buy it in https://shopee.ph/ or https://www.lazada.com.ph/

Thanks alot for the help!