[SOLVED] Is my UPS meant to be getting hot?

b.eggersglusz

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
So I received a company supplied UPS in order to keep my setup going during rolling blackouts or any loss of power.

Firstly I plug it in and there is alot (noticable/audible) coil whine, wondering if this is normal, possibly just the battery charging.
Next when it switches over to backup battery, the fans all kick in but I can hear an even higher whine, sort of a high voltage sound, hard to explain, but its a buzzing sound.

Overall it still works, on the software its showing all the correct information, the batteries do take over and keep the systems all on without a downtime. But my main concern is that The underside of it at the backend is getting rather Hot, Not too hot to touch but borderline too hot. I have the UPS is a open space on a wire rack, So there is plenty of ventilation above, below, and on all sides of the UPS. The software only showed about a 10% load being pulled off the UPS even on Battery Backup.

My worry with this is that it may get so hot it can cause A fire when im not at home etc. The unit is a Mercer Me-3000-VU+ rated at 3000va/1800W. It has 4 x 12 v batteries in it wired to make 48v, then passed through a transformer to output the 230v my country uses.

Long story short, even with the UPS well ventilated and on low load it is getting rather hot underneath, is this normal or that plus the coil whine could the unit be faulty? Could it also be down to the extensions for the output could be wired badly? or would this not be an issue?

Solution
I don't see any specs for that UPS but my 3000VA APC Smart-UPS also uses 48v and specifies minimum 110w at idle, to 150w battery charging. The fans stay off unless it is running off battery, so it does get very warm.

b.eggersglusz

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
I'm not sure if the unit is faulty or not but...

"borderline too hot to touch"

I think its too hot and I wouldn't leave it running when I wasn't there.

I would also tell the company I thought it was too hot.

I had a UPS melt on me once.
Problem is, that its running a network so it can't be turned off, network has to stay on 24/7. Ive asked one of the company staff to check to see if theirs is under similair conditions,

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I searched for it and found no manuals or specsheets, from the looks of it the UPS is one of the classic china designs so I'd say what you're experiencing is normal, those things pack lead-acid batteries and a simple AVR circuit usually involving a transformer that gets hot under load.

It won't catch fire unless you overload it but sometimes it might smell like if you were burning hot glue, that's also normal, it's just the AVR transformer's oil getting hot.

source: got to repair lots of similar models and they're all the same inside except for LED or plug placement