Question Is my UPS the problem?

Jul 12, 2019
Hi,

I currently have a Secure 2000VA UPS. It's been with me for 2 to 3 years. Most of the time, sudden power sags or undervoltage happens in my area.

When power sags or undervoltage occurs, This is what happens to my desktop and UPS:

1.) If I'm just browsing, watching movies, or playing low graphic games, my UPS "clicks" and my desktop stays on.

2.) If I'm playing games like PUBG, DMC 5 or Lone Echo on VR
a.) UPS "clicks" but stays on, desktop turns off.
b.) UPS produce long beep sounds, desktop turns off.

Should I buy a new UPS? Add an AVR? what would you recommend?

Here's the specs of my desktop for reference;

i9-9900K
MSI Z390 MEG Godlike
MSI RTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11gb
Hydro G 850w Gold
4x G.Skill Royal Trident Z 16gb
2x WD SSD m.2 1TB

Jul 12, 2019
Frequent transfer to battery, has probably killed the battery capacity. 3 years with frequent transfers to battery, probably needs new batteries.

Should the battery have the same manufacturer as the UPS?

If it is, I think it'll be much easier for me to buy a new UPS than a replacement battery with the same manufacturer as my current one.

Do you have any suggestions for a new UPS worth $200 - $300?

*Edit
I'm currently looking at this one https://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/prod...0V-AVR-Universal-and-IEC-Sockets/P-BX1400U-MS but I'm not sure if it's good or right for my desktop.

g-unit1111

Titan
Should the battery have the same manufacturer as the UPS?

If it is, I think it'll be much easier for me to buy a new UPS than a replacement battery with the same manufacturer as my current one.

Do you have any suggestions for a new UPS worth $200 - $300?

*Edit
I'm currently looking at this one https://www.apc.com/shop/my/en/prod...0V-AVR-Universal-and-IEC-Sockets/P-BX1400U-MS but I'm not sure if it's good or right for my desktop.

Before you go sinking $300 into a new UPS I'd try your system with just a standard surge protector first (if you don't have one, you can buy them from Home Depot or Target for $10). If that doesn't work then the UPS might be the problem. However, if you use the surge protector and you keep getting the same problems, then it might be your power supply. You have a fairly solid PSU, that should work fine, but even the best PSUs on the market are not immune from failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: krail3721

kanewolf

Titan
The battery doesn't have to be from the same manufacturer. I can't find a manual for that UPS (not a great sign). If you disconnect it from the mains you can then open it and examine the batteries. Usually there are 1 or more 12V DC batteries. You could post pictures of the original batteries and we might be able to help you find replacements.

Reactions: krail3721
Jul 12, 2019
Before you go sinking $300 into a new UPS I'd try your system with just a standard surge protector first. If that doesn't work then the UPS might be the problem. However, if you use the surge protector and you keep getting the same problems, then it might be your power supply. You have a fairly solid PSU, that should work fine, but even the best PSUs on the market are not immune from failure.

I'll try and do that. I'll update here once I tried what you suggested. Thank you so much

Jul 12, 2019
The battery doesn't have to be from the same manufacturer. I can't find a manual for that UPS (not a great sign). If you disconnect it from the mains you can then open it and examine the batteries. Usually there are 1 or more 12V DC batteries. You could post pictures of the original batteries and we might be able to help you find replacements.

I tried searching for it online too and had a hard time looking for the manufacturer's site or something more detailed about my UPS. My mistake for not researching more before buying one.

I'll try and open it tomorrow and take a look at the batteries then post the pictures here. Thank you for the help.

Have you noticed what the UPS LOAD when PC idle and when pushed? I would want some HEADROOM. Don't have exact numbers, but lets say I won't feel comfortable if UPS LOAD is >60% when PC pushed.

My electricity sags quite often, like a second or 2 and my (my God that box is a Toyota) 20 years old APC works like a champ, my PC stays solid. My UPS LOAD averages 35%, and APC is told to be SENSITIVE, to activate at the slightest AC sag.

Jul 12, 2019
Have you noticed what the UPS LOAD when PC idle and when pushed? I would want some HEADROOM. Don't have exact numbers, but lets say I won't feel comfortable if UPS LOAD is >60% when PC pushed.

My electricity sags quite often, like a second or 2 and my (my God that box is a Toyota) 20 years old APC works like a champ, my PC stays solid. My UPS LOAD averages 35%, and APC is told to be SENSITIVE, to activate at the slightest AC sag.

My UPS doesn't have any LED panel so I don't know what the load on my UPS is. It just has 3 mini led lights for Normal, Charge, and Backup.

If I really need to replace my UPS, I'm thinking of buying APC UPS but I still have no idea which model should I buy.

Jul 12, 2019
If your standard surge bar doesn't work then you've got a whole slew of other problems and there might not be a quick and easy fix for it.

Update:
I tried plugging my PC on a surge protector and played PUBG for an hour (not really played, just left my character somewhere in PUBG) and even when there's power sags, my PC didn't turn off or anything.

g-unit1111

Titan
Update:
I tried plugging my PC on a surge protector and played PUBG for an hour (not really played, just left my character somewhere in PUBG) and even when there's power sags, my PC didn't turn off or anything.

I figured that was probably the case. A UPS is something that you don't necessarily have to have. It's good to have one as a precautionary measure in case of a power failure, and if you live in an area where you have frequent power outages, it's a necessity. But if you don't, you really don't need one for every day uses. Just be sure to back up your data frequently and you should be fine.

Jul 12, 2019
I figured that was probably the case. A UPS is something that you don't necessarily have to have. It's good to have one as a precautionary measure in case of a power failure, and if you live in an area where you have frequent power outages, it's a necessity. But if you don't, you really don't need one for every day uses. Just be sure to back up your data frequently and you should be fine.

Then can I just use my surge protector to power up the PC? I still want a UPS but I think I'll save up first to buy a good one.

BTW, can you suggest me some good UPS that would be right for me?

Thank you so much for your help.

g-unit1111

Titan
Then can I just use my surge protector to power up the PC? I still want a UPS but I think I'll save up first to buy a good one.

BTW, can you suggest me some good UPS that would be right for me?

Thank you so much for your help.

Yeah like I said it's not something that you have to have. APC is pretty much the only brand to buy for a UPS, I wouldn't consider anything else.

It's Secure Computing. I think it's a cheap UPS manufacturer available here in the Philippines.

Do you think I should replace it with another UPS like APC?

My 3 APC's do the same - its just not 100%. Most of the time they are good, but sometimes, the power dips/drops and computer is turned off.
I think you need to spend serious money for a decent one.
I also reside in a country with not "perfect" power.

Jul 12, 2019
My 3 APC's do the same - its just not 100%. Most of the time they are good, but sometimes, the power dips/drops and computer is turned off.
I think you need to spend serious money for a decent one.
I also reside in a country with not "perfect" power.

Yeah, and it sucks when that happens while you're in the middle of something.
I'm gonna save up for now to buy a decent UPS for my PC.