Question Is my USB Flash drive defective?

May 22, 2019
I got a USB 3.0 64 GB Flash drive a few months ago for backup purposes. I decided to format my laptop today and started copying over my documents, pictures and so on, and noticed that there are problems with the writing speed.

My 10 - years old PNY 32GB USB 2.0 Flash drive transfers the Documents folder (roughly 3 GB) at about 20 MB/s.
The USB 3.0 Kingston that I just got averages 3 MB/s, constantly dropping to 60 Kb/s or going flat all together for a minute before jumping back to 3 Mb/s and repeat.

It took me 30 minutes to transfer a 300 MB folder to the USB 3.0 Kingston Flash drive, but only a couple minutes on my old 2.0 one.

I tried formatting the 64 GB one multiple times, I checked my port (a USB 3.0 port), tried to change port, update drivers, but to no avail.

At this point I'm assuming my Kingston flash drive is defective because the way the copy rate keeps dropping flat isn't normal. Also it overheats like crazy just a few minutes under load. I tried to run a USB benchmark on it and it reported normal writing / read rates and detected no problems with it.

If there is any solution I haven't tried please let me know.

Lutfij

Titan
What is the model for your Kingston pen drive? What file format did you have it in and what did you try formatting it to? Try NTFS file forma with default size. On a side note, make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update and you've reinstalled your chipset/USB drivers.

May 22, 2019
What is the model for your Kingston pen drive? What file format did you have it in and what did you try formatting it to? Try NTFS file forma with default size. On a side note, make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update and you've reinstalled your chipset/USB drivers.
I made sure that the drivers are up to date. The model of the flash drive is Kingston DTSWIVL. The advertise transfer rate is certainly higher than 3 Mb/s.
I have already tried to format it to NTFS but it made no difference. I'm just assuming it's a bad drive at this point.

TRENDING THREADS