[SOLVED] Is my USB stick dead?

Apr 25, 2020
I've had a Silicon Power 32GB flash drive for about 4 years now, and it has worked flawlessly. One day I brought it to school to move some files over. It worked without any problems, but I do remember putting it in and out of the computer multiple times.
When I get back home and I try to connect it to my PC, strange things happen...
  • The PC doesn't seem to recognize it (a drive shows up under "This PC", but trying to open it just gives "Please insert a disk into drive D:")
  • The LED on the stick just stays on instead of flashing
  • And, the most pressing issue, the stick heats up very quickly
Thankfully, I don't have any important information on it, so I tried to format it, but it gives a similar error message ("There is no disk in USB drive D:")

Are there any options I have from here, or is the stick as good as dead?

Solution
Yes, I have tested it on multiple computers and the same thing happens.
That's too bad... Is there no way to fix it somehow?

There is usually a way to fix things, depends on how much time and money you want to spend vs just replacing it. For a fix you need to buy some memory storage chips and solder them onto the board. Maybe need a new board also or the chips are good but the board is bad. Since it's detecting the device in the computer I'd guess the storage part is what is bad.
Yes, I have tested it on multiple computers and the same thing happens.
That's too bad... Is there no way to fix it somehow?

There is usually a way to fix things, depends on how much time and money you want to spend vs just replacing it. For a fix you need to buy some memory storage chips and solder them onto the board. Maybe need a new board also or the chips are good but the board is bad. Since it's detecting the device in the computer I'd guess the storage part is what is bad.

Solution