[SOLVED] Is my Vega 56 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
Hi All,

tldr; Lights on gpu but no display, pc boots fine. Display works with the mobo output.

I've had my computer in my current config since June, my gpu (Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 OC'ed and flashed w/64 BIOS, got it second hand in June) has always been a little buggy. I have two monitors and maybe once a month the HDMI one will start flashing green. A few months ago the gpu started whining but I'm OCing it so I assumed it was the capacitors. Well, yesterday I was starting up KSP and it got to right when the menu comes on (so a sudden high graphics load) and both screens went black. The game was still running, my PC didn't crash, but there was no display. I restarted and no display, just black.

The lights would still go on my GPU when I turned the computer on. I unplugged my gpu and plugged my HDMI into the mobo and the display worked fine, my computer worked fine. I tried a different PCI slot, I tried switching back to the 56 BIOS, I tried a different power slot on my psu, I tried disabling my integrated display driver but so far nothing has worked.

So.........is my baby dead? Please please please help. <3

Specs:
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 flashed to 64 Bios and OC'ed
i7-7700K not OC'ed
16gb of Teamgroup Ram
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon z270 mobo
EVGA 750 GQ psu
Assorted hard drives + disk drive
TPlink wifi card (tried taking this out too)

Solution
I haven't tried it another computer yet, but planning to on Monday. Until then yeah I tried it with factory settings as well (with the second gpu bios). Is there anything else you think I could try until I plug it into another mobo?

It could be one of two things:

1) An inadequate power supply (highly unlikely but possible)

2) It could just be a software problem that could be solved via updating. I'd run update checks on all software & hardware connected to the GPU - BIOS, graphics drivers, overclocking utilities, game software, and ultimately Windows itself. Sometimes features get disabled until you actually run the updates. It sucks but it does happen.

If that doesn't solve it then yeah I would definitely test in another...
Dec 6, 2019
Have you tried your machine in another system? Also have you set your GPU back to factory defaults before you overclocked it?

I haven't tried it another computer yet, but planning to on Monday. Until then yeah I tried it with factory settings as well (with the second gpu bios). Is there anything else you think I could try until I plug it into another mobo?

g-unit1111

Titan

It could be one of two things:

1) An inadequate power supply (highly unlikely but possible)

2) It could just be a software problem that could be solved via updating. I'd run update checks on all software & hardware connected to the GPU - BIOS, graphics drivers, overclocking utilities, game software, and ultimately Windows itself. Sometimes features get disabled until you actually run the updates. It sucks but it does happen.

If that doesn't solve it then yeah I would definitely test in another motherboard if possible.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.