Is My Video Card Bad?

oldgoat378

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
While playing CODWAW or Sim racing my screen would suddenly look like a window that was smashed in fracturing all different directions, then go blank requiring shutdown manually then rebooting. Then it would start up again and play for a while then do it again. No certain amount of time interval. On one occasion got BSOD and had to shut down same way. Checked all card seating, wire connections, updated drivers, plug connections. Temp running 99 degrees F/37.5C. This computer is used for gaming only.

Win XP, CPU Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, Yorkfield Skt 775LGA Tech 45nm CV 1.248,e-GeForce 8800GTX, 768-ME PCI-E, Seagate BC, !TB, 500GB, 250GB, mobo XFX 750SLI Nforce 750i Intel 775 DDR, 2x 2GB Patriot DDR2. Don't know what else to include. Please ask!

traesta

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
is any of your hardware overclocked>? if so I would set to normal settings first. if it is'nt overclocked I remember having problems similar to yours with my 8500gt card and it turns out the video card was overheating becouse the thermal grease on the heat sync was not making good contact so I cleaned it put new grease on it and reassembled then never had any problems let me know if it works for you

oldgoat378

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
First thanks for your reply! But not there has been no over clocking at all! Don't know about the heat sink on the Video card and it could very well be overheating. I will check that out as I never though of that. I never knew that it had a heat sink with the paste on it? Thanks for the info and I will check it out and let you know! Or are you talking about the heat sink on the CPU? I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandolier?

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
run a few heavy memory benchmarks like simultaneously running as many win rar compression you can....it should detect any cpu or memory problem....if there is no problem with cpu or memory then its surely the problem of gfx

oldgoat378

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Well, thanks folks! I finally put a new Video card in, a little step down from what was in it, but it works fine now. I installed a 9800GE EE 1024 in place of the 8800 GTX 768 so to me that's quite a step down but all is working fine now. I am assuming that the video card was bad but cannot say positively as I'm not an expert at all that testing. So thanks for the help. It was greatly appreciated and I guess you can consider this thread closed unless this computer blows up or something, lol! Take care all.
OldGoat