Is my video card compatible with mobo?

method98

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought a z68 gigabyte mobo (GA-z68ap-d3) and i have a nvidia gts 450. I have 650 watt PSU and 8 gb ram. My computer for the last couple of days has been freezing if left n overnight as i usually download movies and tv shows from itunes or games from steam. Today, every time i turn it on it freezes after about 8 minutes, the monitor freezes, displaying the same image but I can still hear the hard drive writing data for a couple seconds after (4-5)

Nvidia gts 450
i5-2500k
ga-z68ap-d3
kingston hyperx genesis 1600 mHz ram
corsair 650 watt PSU
hitachi HDD 1 tb

Also, if I put my video card into the pcie x16 it does not work but if i put it in the pciex4 it works, yet my video card is a pcie 2.0 x16 card.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Have you tried to reinstall the drivers? Most problems with graphics are the drivers, card, or power supply.

Try to run a program called Furmark (http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/) for 30 minutes and let us know what the results are (Temps and did it artifact?). From what you are saying it sounds like either your graphics card is dead or its your motherboard, but lets try to eliminate all other possibilities.

(Edit) Have you ever gotten any BSODs? (Blue Screen of Death)

xRealityx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

No artifacts, 78 degrees celsius after 15 minutes, stayed there until 30 minutes, fan speed at 57% around end.

Core 822 mHz memory 1804 mHz VDDC: 1.037v and no I haven't had any BSOD's

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Those results are great which means we need to move on to plan B:

If you have another card, you can try those on the x16 and x4 slots to see if it makes a difference, if not then download a Driver Cleaner (I like this one: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/) and clean out the drivers, then reboot and reinstall any needed drivers (If it freezes on you, boot into safe mode with networking and run the Driver Cleaner). If things look good can you try Prime95, and download HWmonitor? If you see any temps that you are even slightly concerned about post them and we'll see. It COULD also be the RAM, I've heard weirder stories from bad RAM. Let memtest86+ run over your RAM twice over to make sure (Overnight would be better, but as I highly doubt its the RAM I think twice over would suffice). If everything checks out let it be until it has the issue again and let us know. We'll then need to find out if the problem is the motherboard or the graphics card.

Unless that is, of course if someone else has another idea?

(Edit) To clarify, you are having these issues in the x4 slot and in the x16 slot the card doesn't work at all?

TRENDING THREADS