Is my video card dead?

nonahs

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
I have a GTX 780 which has been fine since I brought it around 2014 I think. A couple of nights ago my screen froze and then went black. I restarted my PC and windows had reverted to the basic display driver and was showing a code 43 error for my 780. I googled the code 43 and it seems to be a general error for anything from a dead card to drivers corrupted. I updated my bios and rebooted into safemode and removed my the drivers with DDU then restarted and went to download the newest drivers. Before the drivers finished downloading windows update had already downloaded an older driver version (even though I have it disabled from updating drivers and disabled in the registry too), however this seemed to fix my problem and my card was working again. I ran the Heaven benchmark for 30 mins on it while monitoring the card and had no problems, temps were maxing out at about 70C.

Two nights later and I had the same issue happen again where the screen froze and then went black. This time I was unable to get the card going again at all. I tried reseating the card, removing it entirely and even a different psu. I was unable to test my other PCIe slot as some plugs on the motherboard were in the way. I don't have another system or motherboard avaibale to test the card with either. I did find my old GTX 275 and plugged that in instead and it is working fine, which leads me to believe my 780 could be dead. The only reason I think it may no be dead is because both times it stopped working the screen just froze for a second and then when black. I had no artifacting or lines or any graphical issues at all with the card and can't remember ever having them, it just seem to die a quiet death which I don't recall hearing about before. I thought if the card was dying the Heaven test that I ran after the first failure would surely cause some issues but there was none.

The rest of my specs for my system which I haven't changed for over a year are
ASUS DirectCU II GTX 780
AB350m gaming 3 motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600
32GB Trident Z DDR4 RAM
Corsair 750W PSU
M4 SSD for OS drive

So does it sound like 780 is dead even though I had no artifacting or any graphical issues at all before the screen went blank?

nonahs

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Yea the 275 worked alright for over a day so I went out and got a 2060 to replace the dead 780. Everythings been working fine since then. Just thought it was weird how my 780 seemed to die for an hour or so then worked perfectly fine for another day before dying permanently.