[SOLVED] Is my video card dying?

Sep 7, 2019
Intel -7 - 4790k
Nvidia 900 something, can't remember but its old.

Hi, about a week ago my computer froze and when i rebooted, my main monitor wasn't working and my video card doesn't show up. My main monitor is connected to my video card so i assume its my video card.

If i replug my monitor and reboot a couple of times it works fine, but after a while my computer freezes and i get the same problems. My mouse starts moving very slowly, the computer makes the blue screen of death sound and eventually freezes.

I took my computer out a week ago and cleaned it of dust and that fixed it for a week. But today whilst using my computer it happened again. Right as i launched a game, my mouse started moving very slowly, blue screen of death sound played and my computer froze.

Now i can only use the computer on my second monitor and without my video card as it doesn't show up anymore.

Is my video card dying?

Cheers.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Every stop error (BSOD) is different, so may be useful to know what this was and it could reinforce what the problem is, however it sure does sound like the GPU has had it's time. If the stop error was a WHEA (then sub type of a PCI Express Error) then that would further confirm this.

If the GPU suddenly stopped working then suddenly stopped appearing on the OS then it probably is done for, that or the PSU cannot supply appropriate power to it anymore, as PSUs deteriorate too, and if they're poor quality, even more so.

Easiest way to tell would be to try the GPU in another system or another GPU in your system and retest.

Intel -7 - 4790k
Nvidia 900 something, can't remember but its old.

First off, Kindly provide FULL PC specs, including the make and model of your Motherboard, and PSU.

If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

Sep 7, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Every stop error (BSOD) is different, so may be useful to know what this was and it could reinforce what the problem is, however it sure does sound like the GPU has had it's time. If the stop error was a WHEA (then sub type of a PCI Express Error) then that would further confirm this.

If the GPU suddenly stopped working then suddenly stopped appearing on the OS then it probably is done for, that or the PSU cannot supply appropriate power to it anymore, as PSUs deteriorate too, and if they're poor quality, even more so.

Easiest way to tell would be to try the GPU in another system or another GPU in your system and retest.

Thanks for the help. My video card was indeed dead. I have replaced it!

Reactions: PC Tailor