karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hi guys

I recently overclocked my Xpertvision 8500GT Sonic GDDR3 card. After days of carefully monitoring and adjusting clock values i finally found a stable o/c value. Safe temps, no artifacts. Got some great results. Believe it or not got a 15 fps boost in crysis, playing on all high except for shader and object quality on medium.

The problem i started having a few days ago was that games started to look very aliased (jagged). Even with anti-aliasing on it doesn't seem to smooth out until 4x or 8x. I reverted the clocks back to stock settings but all my games still look very aliased. I even tried underclocking, but still the same problem.

Here are the clock values:

Stock: core-600 shader-1200 memory-600 Temp: 51c idle 62c load

o/c: core-725 shader-1450 memory-725 Temp: 51c idle 65c load

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yes overshocked, every game is like that. The games didn't reset the settings because i check them before i play every game.
I reinstalled the drivers. I even did a format and reinstall of windows. The problem is still there.
I didn't adjust the voltage at all, only the clocks.

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well today i tried playing some video games and now i notice some flickering going on. There is also this horizontal line in the middle of the screen whenever it flickers. Almost as if the screen is divided into two halves. At first i thought it was my refresh rate, but that is set to 60 (which is the only rate my monitor supports), and i also used the override option in dxdiag to force 60 hertz in all my 3d applications.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
MAn dude that is really crazy.

Do you have another video card so that you could make sure that the GPU is the problem?

If not, the next thingi would do is mak sure your case isnt close to your monitor, as i have had problems with electrical interferance that leads to some crazy stuff being displayd on the monitor

If that doesnt work would do is unplug everything except the cpu then blow it all out then replug it back in. just to make sure.

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well i tried the radeon and it's the same problem. So that rules out the graphics card problem.
It seems my monitor is the problem. Now there's a high pitched noise coming from it. I guess it's dying. It was getting very dark anyways.

My case is pretty close to my monitor. It's just a lil bit below the monitor to the right side of my computer desk. Probably like a forearm's length.

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
My speakers are right beside my monitor on both sides. Only a few inches away. They aren't high powered though (i don't think). Do you think that is what's causing it?

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I tested COD4 and the aliasing isn't so bad. Now it just looks like a bunch of horizontal lines running across the screen. Like scan lines. They are more visible when i'm standing still. When i move they are almost not visible at all.

karma211

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I moved them as far away from monitor as they could go. To the end of the wire, maybe a metre or so. I also made sure there are no other electronics close to it.
I just really think the monitor is at it's end. It's an old crt. About 5 or 6 years old.