Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2018
Hello there

I have been getting weird graphical glitches happening to me recently, specifically when I play star wars battlefront 2. These graphical glitches seem to happen after about one game has been played or if i change the graphics while in game. Eventually the glitches get worse and worse till the game eventually crashes. I have run MemTest, Prime95 and used seatools to check my HDD and all of these tests passed so I'm now thinking that the issue may be bad VRAM?? I have attached images below:

https://imgur.com/a/ch6GtS3
https://imgur.com/a/EPpUCBx

I have had a failing GPU before and this seems to be different, for starters with my old failing GPU I could not print screen the artifacts id see on screen whereas I can with these glitches for some reason. Any help is much appreciated, I'm at my wits end!!

Specs:

https://imgur.com/a/3k6Z14T

Thanks

Solution
Those screenshots wouldn't make me suspect VRAM issues, at least not initially.

I'd expect VRAM artifacting to be more along these lines:
1139913.jpg

With those screenshots, I'd be inclined to start with the GPU driver (upgrade or roll-back) and/or a problem with the engine itself. I've heard of random instances of similar artifacts.... all the ones I've seen are mentioned to be unreal engine titles though, and Battelfront2 is Frostbite....

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Those screenshots wouldn't make me suspect VRAM issues, at least not initially.

I'd expect VRAM artifacting to be more along these lines:
1139913.jpg

With those screenshots, I'd be inclined to start with the GPU driver (upgrade or roll-back) and/or a problem with the engine itself. I've heard of random instances of similar artifacts.... all the ones I've seen are mentioned to be unreal engine titles though, and Battelfront2 is Frostbite....

Solution

bobthemagicmoose

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
First, a disclaimer. I don't know what I'm talking about. Now that that is out of the way, I would guess that your problem is with the logic within the GPU (processor) itself and not the VRAM. The bulk of VRAM is storing texture data and I would think that, if your VRAM were bad then your textures would be messed up, not the post-processing that is done after they are mapped to the polygons. I would try disabling as much post-processing as you can and see if you can find something that avoids the bad part of the GPU.

After reading the above comment by @Barty1884 - it does seem more plausible that this is a driver/game issue and not a problem with your graphics card. Does it happen with other games?

Oct 11, 2018
This happens only with battlefront 2 and just seems to happen when there is a big graphics change in the game i.e when I change map or change the graphics settings. I've also tried searching online and have found no examples of anyone with the same issue. I have the most recent driver for my card but I'll try rolling back and see if there's any improvement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.