Question Is my water cooling ok?

Jul 28, 2020
Hi,
I have:
Corsair H80i V2 cooler
Intel i7 4790k
Phanteks P400A RGB with 3 stock fans.

Corsair radiator is mounted to exhaust through the back of the case, pipes at the bottom. I've set Corsair Link for testing to constant 100% fans speed and pump to performance mode . When I run Prime95 with blend test it keeps 60 degrees for up to 10 minutes, and than temperatures go up quite quick. It looks like when water reaches some temp it cannot keep CPU cool anymore. I reapplied thermal paste, and running without overclock. Is it normal behaviour? I have no experience with water cooling.

When Cores temp rise above to 80-90 degrees, link shows that water temp is around 34 Deg. When I play games CPU temps are about 55-60.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of Prime 95 are you running for that platform? What overclocks are you working with on that processor and at what voltages? What are you ambient room air temps and if you're running at stock clocks, if you're on Auto, see if undervolting the CPU helps with your temps.

We're also going to need to know what the temps are after your Prime 95 run ends. A screenshot would help as well, of HWMonitor. Make and model of your motherboard? Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for it.

Jul 28, 2020
It's hard to show everything but I'll try my best.
Prime95: v29.8 build 6
No overclocking, CPU in BIOS set to AUTO
Room temp: about 26 deg. C.
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7

I've set corsair link to 100% fan speed and max for pump. It run up to 90 deg. C and voltage dropped. Than it stayed at about 85 deg. C.

This is right after boot:
hvJfHh.png

After 5 minutes of running prime95:
iONbEE.png

After 15 minutes:
T5RaSu.png

Test stopped:
vN3Fve.png

After that I set link to Performance mode and it went to high, so I stopped:
rB12rT.png

I also tried with automated overclocking (OC Genie) and it went too high too:
YcM4gD.png

From what I observed it stays at one temperature for some time, around 60-70. Than at some point temps go up like crazy within seconds. Is my system performing normally? During games all temps are around 55-60 for CPU and 70 for GPU. Of course I set Link to max speeds only for testing, I can't imagine sitting longer in that noise.