[SOLVED] Is my Windows installed on the HDD instead of the SSD? Why is the SSD not recognized?

Apr 13, 2021
Got a used ASUS ROG STRIX GL10CS. Comes with 1tb HDD and 250gb SSD.

In file explorer there are 3 drives, C: (344gb), D: (585 gb), and E: (500 mb). When I got it, I immediately went to reset my pc to which I was asked which drive to install Windows to so I chose drive C: thinking it was the SSD but I realized after it couldnt be because it's total capacity was around 300gb. As a result gaming is fine but regular things like browsing and using file explorer are terribly laggy.

I set out to find out if Windows was really on the HDD. So I went to disk management and it shows 2 disks. The first disk has many partitions including drives C, D, and E for a total of 931gb.

The second disk has 248gb of unallocated space. This must be the SSD. Just to make sure I checked Task Manager and sure enough it shows both disks with the second disk being unused.

Why wasnt the SSD an option to install Windows to in the first place? Why can't I access the SSD? How can I install windows to it now? I have nothing on this computer except for games so losing data is not an issue for me.

Solution
remove hdd from pc, only have ssd in drive when you install
the unallocated space should have been showing when you ran installer

put win 10 on ssd
once it boots without hdd, put hdd in and copy anything you want off hdd onto ssd
you best remove the wrong install by wiping hdd and starting afresh on it, will remove the boot partition
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you...
You need to change the file system and assign a drive letter before formatting the drive. After than you can install Windows on it.

So I went to disk management and it shows 2 disks.
In the above pic, right click on Drive 1 and choose New Simple Volume. Then follow the instructions (Google it). You can also use Diskpart (Google it) or https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Make sure when you are installing Windows, you have only the SSD attached and not the HDD. Otherwise Windows will create a system partition on the other drive and wont work without it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
remove hdd from pc, only have ssd in drive when you install
the unallocated space should have been showing when you ran installer

put win 10 on ssd
once it boots without hdd, put hdd in and copy anything you want off hdd onto ssd
you best remove the wrong install by wiping hdd and starting afresh on it, will remove the boot partition
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

Solution

popatim

Titan
You need to change the file system and assign a drive letter before formatting the drive. After than you can install Windows on it.
You don't need to format a drive to install windows to it. Windows is perfectly capable of taking care of those steps, just point it at the unallocated drive and click 'next' during the installation.

Make sure when you are installing Windows, you have only the SSD attached and not the HDD. Otherwise Windows will create a system partition on the other drive and wont work without it.
Excellent advice!

Reactions: Hellfire13