Question Is my Zotac 3080 trinity OC 12gb gimped?

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Hi! Post purchase I realised my zotac card hovers around the 330w mark on MSI afterburner, when it should be closer to 380w? My card still hits around 1950mhz but apparently people are saying it performs less at the same clocks? Anyone know if this is something worthy of a return? Just dropped a lot of money on this and Im concerned, thank you!

Hi! Post purchase I realised my zotac card hovers around the 330w mark on MSI afterburner, when it should be closer to 380w? My card still hits around 1950mhz but apparently people are saying it performs less at the same clocks? Anyone know if this is something worthy of a return? Just dropped a lot of money on this and Im concerned, thank you!

Hey there,

Well, no, honestly don't return it yet.

What are the rest of your system specs? What games do you play? What res is your monitor?

Power draw isn't necessarily an indication of performance. Sure, if you take off power limits you may get higher boost clocks, but often AIB cards have their own power limits.

So, I'd suggest trying some benches for your GPU, like Superposition, 3d Mark, Unigine, Furmark and maybe Userbench just to compare.

Reactions: KyaraM

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Hey there,

Well, no, honestly don't return it yet.

What are the rest of your system specs? What games do you play? What res is your monitor?

Power draw isn't necessarily an indication of performance. Sure, if you take off power limits you may get higher boost clocks, but often AIB cards have their own power limits.

So, I'd suggest trying some benches for your GPU, like Superposition, 3d Mark, Unigine, Furmark and maybe Userbench just to compare.

Hi!

I run at 1440p with a 5800x
32gb Ram at 3600mhz

Im planning on playing RDR2 at the moment where the card is virtually maxed out, so no real bottlenecks to speak of!

But allegedly (from Zotacs own rep) they have nerfed their bottom end cards to create a larger disparity for their higher end cards, and I may be losing 10%

The benchmark is a great idea actually! Do these have integrated comparisons vs other 3080's? Or do I have to google other peoples benchmarks?

Userbench is useful for a comparison to other systems with the same specs in basic terms. But not as a measurable bench in a true form.

Try them all then compare. 3d mark will show you the comprarison, so start there or USB (Userbench). Yes, for the others you may have to check a website to compare. Easy peasy though.

Reactions: KyaraM

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Userbench is useful for a comparison to other systems with the same specs in basic terms. But not as a measurable bench in a true form.

Try them all then compare. 3d mark will show you the comprarison, so start there or USB (Userbench). Yes, for the others you may have to check a website to compare. Easy peasy though.

I did a TIMESPY benchmark and mine came back at 18275, with a +100 to the core to get my clocks up there, but the median for 3080 12gb are 18714 so mine is a little bit out with a 10% power limit increase and +100 to the core on MSI AB, is there anything to deduce from this or am I being padantic lol

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It... hovers?
That doesn't seem normal for any card; the power draw is normally supposed to bounce around...

But allegedly (from Zotacs own rep) they have nerfed their bottom end cards to create a larger disparity for their higher end cards, and I may be losing 10%
I believe that's an exaggeration. Gpu Boost built into the card does the majority of the overclocking. Factory OCs from the AIBs adds maybe a few percent more on top of that, and with how conservative the power limits are on these cards, even less. Then there's the numerous temperature thresholds within Gpu Boost.

The benchmark is a great idea actually! Do these have integrated comparisons vs other 3080's? Or do I have to google other peoples benchmarks?
The averages are totally skewed with good and bad overclocks, power throttled gpus, thermal throttled gpus... plus with Gpu Boost being dynamic, a stock 3080 to compare to doesn't really exist.

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
It... hovers?
That doesn't seem normal for any card; the power draw is normally supposed to bounce around...

I believe that's an exaggeration. Gpu Boost built into the card does the majority of the overclocking. Factory OCs from the AIBs adds maybe a few percent more on top of that, and with how conservative the power limits are on these cards, even less. Then there's the numerous temperature thresholds within Gpu Boost.

The averages are totally skewed with good and bad overclocks, power throttled gpus, thermal throttled gpus... plus with Gpu Boost being dynamic, a stock 3080 to compare to doesn't really exist.

I managed a mild OC of a 3.5% improvement lol, so managed to reclaim a minor amount back, my concern was mainly as its advertised as a 350w card with a potential of 380w and it never even came close to 350 (even with a 10% increase to my power limit) I imagine the difference im missing out on is even percievable anyway! Thank you for all your responses!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TRENDING THREADS