Question Is network card dead

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Mb p55-us3l
Yesterday i reinstalled my pc as i installed ssd. My microphone didnt work so i installed some realtek hd audio drivers but that didnt help so i uninstalled them installed different ones. After i uninstalled second ones i restarted Pc and since that moment windows says “reconnecting.. network cable unplugged” - when diagnosing it says that the rj45 is damaged but its not. When I tried to fix issue by limiting speed to 10mbps it freezes my pc. When i tried to reinstall ethernet drivers pc froze again. Reinstalling pc or putting it in factory reset freezes pc again and completely corrupts windows. Reinstalled my pc with rj45 unplugged and no freezes or problems whatsoever. So did audio realtek drivers actually killed my ethernet? Router light is off on that particular port slot. So till i make money for new pc i guess no internet for me..

Last edited:

vule.pcgeek

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
It always gets stuck. Isn’t here any alternate way to get internet working ot find out that its really dead?
As you said, I would test using another ethernet card, or even a phone (using USB Tethering)
5ca89a8be158b630f94b893def2ad67b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

It always gets stuck. Isn’t here any alternate way to get internet working ot find out that its really dead?
Have you tried manually installing the driver? Here are the instructions:
If you want install manually without auto installer, please install by 'Have Disk' and then choose 8168C.

b. WIN + R and 'devmgmt.msc' to invoke 'Device Manager'
c. double click the corresponding network adapter
d. choose 'driver' property page
e. click 'update driver...'
f. click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer...'
h. click 'Have Disk...'
g. choose 8168C , DO NOT choose 8168B
h. install the driver

It might be that the installer for the driver executable is using 8168B which is incorrect, resulting in getting "stuck"

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Have you tried manually installing the driver? Here are the instructions:
If you want install manually without auto installer, please install by 'Have Disk' and then choose 8168C.

b. WIN + R and 'devmgmt.msc' to invoke 'Device Manager'
c. double click the corresponding network adapter
d. choose 'driver' property page
e. click 'update driver...'
f. click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer...'
h. click 'Have Disk...'
g. choose 8168C , DO NOT choose 8168B
h. install the driver

It might be that the installer for the driver executable is using 8168B which is incorrect, resulting in getting "stuck"
Well windows 10 always installed correct ones so why would it suddenly autoinstall wrong ones?
I’ve tried manually installing drivers from gigabyte, realtek; limitting traffic, reinstalling whole computer 5 times and it always results in computer freeze as long as is rj45 in the port.
And why ethernet port stucks entire computer anyway.. and why uninstalling audio drivers killed ethernet port..
can’t I get internet access by getting ethernet usb adapter?

Well windows 10 always installed correct ones so why would it suddenly autoinstall wrong ones?
I’ve tried manually installing drivers from gigabyte, realtek; limitting traffic, reinstalling whole computer 5 times and it always results in computer freeze as long as is rj45 in the port.
And why ethernet port stucks entire computer anyway..
These instructions are within the driver itself. Have you tried the above steps?

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
These instructions are within the driver itself. Have you tried the above steps?
No, but That doesn’t matter when everything causes problems as i wrote in posts before. Windows always preinstalled correct drivers that worked all the time and now I can’t do anything without getting computer bricked. Any interaction with the drivers does that. Drivers can only be installed without cable plugged in.

No, but That doesn’t matter when everything causes problems as i wrote in posts before. Windows always preinstalled correct drivers that worked all the time and now I can’t do anything without getting computer bricked. Any interaction with the drivers does that.
Reinstall windows with the computer disconnected from the network.
Configure windows to not automatically install device drivers:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Then install the network driver manually using the instructions above.

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Reinstall windows with the computer disconnected from the network.
Configure windows to not automatically install device drivers:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Then install the network driver manually using the instructions above.
Umm wouldn’t just be easier to buy USB Ethernet adapter for 10$? That would solve the problem right? As there is probably no way to tell with certainity that the port is dead and I’m not really willing to reinstall my ssd over and over again it’s probably not gonma work anyway and that way i won’t have to spend weeks to find out the problem..i really need internet access as fastest as i can

Reactions: vule.pcgeek
Umm wouldn’t just be easier to buy USB Ethernet adapter for 10$? That would solve the problem right? As there is probably no way to tell with certainity that the port is dead and I’m not really willing to reinstall my ssd over and over again it’s probably not gonma work anyway and that way i won’t have to spend weeks to find out the problem..i really need internet access as fastest as i can
If all you're doing is web browsing and word processing then yes, this would be a good solution. If you use the pc for gaming then I wouldn't expect the USB to Ethernet adapter to match performance of the on-board nic.

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
If all you're doing is web browsing and word processing then yes, this would be a good solution. If you use the pc for gaming then I wouldn't expect the USB to Ethernet adapter to match performance of the on-board nic.

Well my mobo is roughly 14 years old and my internet is 50 Mbps. How fast would usb 2.0 fast ethernet adapter reach? I use my pc for browsing and some lighter games

You were given instructions on how to manually install the driver which would be the best way to tell if the card is dead, but you don't want to do that, so it would seem that your only option is to buy another network adapter in which case it really doesn't matter if your current one is dead or not since the newer one would be an upgrade and there would be no point in using the older one.

I've never understood why people come seeking solutions but then refuse to attempt to implement the solutions that are offered, instead offering up excuse after excuse as to why they can't do that.

There's a lot of things you COULD do, to put a bandaid on the problem, but doing as SgtScream has suggested would be the RIGHT way, to at least eliminate one possible problem, and his other suggestion of a clean install would be the next step. As to why it doesn't work, well, as you said, anytime you do anything with drivers causes a problem and if that's not a definite indication that something is seriously wrong with the operating system itself, I don't know what else it's going to take for you to see it for what it is aside from it simply failing to boot altogether, which is likely the next phase anyhow.

vule.pcgeek

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017

Maybe to try this ? This is a gigabit one so, it may be better than on-boaed one.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

Installing a new network card isn't going to do ANY damn good, at all, if he can't install drivers because Windows loses it's mind every time he tries to install ANY kind of driver. Otherwise it would be a good option, but if you can't install drivers it's worthless and if he's running an old OS like Windows 7, may not even HAVE drivers available for it.

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Installing a new network card isn't going to do ANY damn good, at all, if he can't install drivers because Windows loses it's mind every time he tries to install ANY kind of driver. Otherwise it would be a good option, but if you can't install drivers it's worthless and if he's running an old OS like Windows 7, may not even HAVE drivers available for it.
I can install drivers, but not ones for that faulty network card. It’s not windows who loses it’s mind, it’s probably motherboard. And i’m running windows 10

Ok, well in that case then a new add in PCI network card is probably not the worst idea ever. Certainly there are less expensive ones than this, but the Intel cards are very good quality compared to most of the others like Syba, TP-link and Rosewill.

PCPartPicker Part List

Wired Network Adapter: Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe x1 1000 Mbit/s Network Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $29.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-17 02:12 EDT-0400

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Just bought usb ethernet adapter - tried to install drivers and pc instantly froze.. any suggestions?
Edit: freeze was caused by windows trying to install default drivers back. I banned it.. installed drivers again it ran on half speed but enough to update them now is everything running perfectly - speed is same as with network card. Solved for now. Thanks everybody for your time!

Last edited: