Is new graphics card why my games freeze? Need help!

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
My pc freezes randomly when I play certain games such as skyrim or wow. When it happens the whole computer locks up and I have to hard shutdown. During the freeze my sound also gets bugged and sets in a repetitive buzzing loop. The only thing i have recently upgraded is i put in a new graphics card over the last week or two. My computer specs are below.

I also just clean installed windows 7 64 bit when I installed this graphics card. I am wondering if it is the card or a driver compatibility issue. The graphics card is the only new hardware.

It never happens unless I am in one of the games and it is just after some random amount of time, my graphics card temperature is usually between 40-47 during these games it does not get to even 50 celcius.

GPU - just upgraded to a Sapphire OC version Radeon HD 7850 1GB
PSU- Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2
CPU - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
MB - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram - CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I have the most up to date driver for catalyst and graphics card, monitor the graphics card through msiafterburner, have gotten this crash at default gpu settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I do not know what I should do to fix this problem and it is very frustrating.

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

No my original card was a nvidia GTX 260, i never had any crashing problems but i guess it could be something that has happened since the clean install.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Are you overclocking? If so might need more voltage.

Since you also said you cleaned your PC you might want to take the card out, and look at the pcie connectors on both the card and mobo, dust could have gotten in there.

Download MSI afterburner and put fan speed to 100%, does it crash while gaming? I learned to not trust sensors too much.

You will probably need to create a more aggressive fan profile if you dont crash while the fan is going full bore.

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I have crashed when it was on default settings, as well as very minimally overclocked with +10% power limit just to see if it was crashing for this reason. I actually created a more aggressive fan profile which i have been using when this happens. it has been low to mid 40celcius in temperature when under load and around 29 or 30 degrees celcius when it is idling. If there was dust in the PCIE connectors how would this only cause issues during games versus just running standard. I can check but I do not believe this is my issue. I feel like it has to either be the card has an issue or a compatibility issue with hardware or drivers.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Does your power supply have other pcie connectors? If so try switching your GPU to different ones.

Hello... yes Three things have been changed here...
1) New windows install
2) New video card
3) New drivers

so you need to try and isolate them... remove ATI drivers, re-install the GTX 260, install NVidia drivers.
Test as needed for your new Windows install.

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I can try this as well also. Is there any possibility i have a driver compatibility issue between my gpu and motherboard or anything else that anyone notices?

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I would also like to add i can sucessfully play Dota 2, Starcraft 2, diablo 3 for extended periods of time without having this problem. Could it be a memory error from a more intensive game?

Hello... to determine if you have a Driver issue... try earlier Driver Versions... has always worked for me... I'm a NVidia guy now due to such same problems... but that aside... remember to unistall your new drivers before troubleshooting with Older versions... or the NEWER drivers will keep loading... and no valid test was preformed on the DRivers.

Yes... alot of up dated drivers I see NVIDIa does is a "TUNING" to make a certain game run faster... and an OLDER version for the general Public you won't notice a difference... Thus if it works on my computer... I never bother with a "constant" up Date driver cycle on my computer.
Looking I see my driver is 1 1/2 years old.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Ram overclock could also cause it I believe, yes if you are not using proper settings/volatges.

could be an issue of the video card and another part on the mb is using the same dma or memory range. check to see if your mb has all the bios updates. check in the bios that the irq are set to auto. at post see if the video card is sharing another irq. if it is you may be able to fix it by turning off the com ports and printer ports to free up some irq. take a look at your mb guild and see if the first tow pci slots share anything. if you have any aftermarket cards like wifi or sound try removing them and see if the new video card runs better. on the clean install of windows did you download and install the newest intel chipset drivers??
also have you ran gpu-z to see that the video card and pci bus is working right??

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I am not exactly sure how to do all of this. Do i need to flash my bios? I do not really know anything about it but i am pretty sure that my bios is not 100% up to date on my MB. I also do not really know anything about IRQ so i would need help with that. I left it out but i also use a netgear WNDA 3100 V2 usb wireless reciever. I have not run gpu-z either. If you could help explain how i could do these things i will give them all a shot!

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-ex58-ud4p_f13.exe
download the file and expand the rom file. copy it to a usb stick and then boot into the bios. under advance mode there a bios updater. run it and point to the f13.rom file. let it run and reboot the system.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility

download the chipset driver for your os. run the exe and reboot.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I updated the chipset for my OS it was out of date so thank you for that. I am having trouble updating my bios which i am almost positive has to be out of date also. I went into the bios settings during boot up and did not see a "bios updater" selection i could choose. I also looked under the advanced mode. Can you be any more specific on how i can find this menu?

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

EDIT : I found out my motherboard supports Q flash so this is where i need to go to update the bios. Ill let you know how it goes when i am back.

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

So now i am having issues with Q-flash not reading my USB. I do not have a floppy drive so i am unsure how i can otherwise update my bios.

Hello... found this detail...

Before using Q-Flash utility, go to GIGABYTE website to download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file to your floppy disk, USB flash drive, or hard drive. And be noted that the USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.

ruspry

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

I found out I currently have the original driver which is a couple years out of date. I need to update the bios with the new version but my usb isnt showing up in the bios update screen. I read online i needed to have a "bootable", "fat32" drive with the root of the drive. I formatted my usb in the following way

in cmd i do

# diskpart
# select disk 1
# clean
# create partition primary
# select partition 1
# active
# format fs=fat32
# assign
# exit

then i put the files in the root and tried to load it but it is still not showing up. At this point I am not sure what i need to do for my bios to recognize my flash drive i have tried different ports and it is formatted in the correct way i believe unless i did not do it correctly above.