[SOLVED] Is Newegg psu calculator accurate

Nate926493

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
Hey guys so basically I’m building my first system and I don’t know what psu to get Newegg psu calculator says 290 watts. Is that accurate? My build is a asrock b450m pro4 AMD r9 270 2gb 2x 4gb ddr4 Atech wraith stealth cooler (the free one that comes whith ryzen CPU’s) 1 120mm case fan and 1 120mm exhaust fan and also would it be dangerous to get a 80+ bronze psu?

Solution
Hey guys so basically I’m building my first system and I don’t know what psu to get Newegg psu calculator says 290 watts. Is that accurate? My build is a asrock b450m pro4 AMD r9 270 2gb 2x 4gb ddr4 Atech wraith stealth cooler (the free one that comes whith ryzen CPU’s) 1 120mm case fan and 1 120mm exhaust fan and also would it be dangerous to get a 80+ bronze psu?
I never seen any PSU calculator be accurate. Most of them overestimate or are just wrong about what is needed to compensate for you buying a pile of crap power supply.

Edit so far you have a 150 watt video card listed but it could be 20 watts or so more depending on the model can figure about 80 more watts for everything else (drives, motherboard, fans, USB devices...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I never seen any PSU calculator be accurate. Most of them overestimate or are just wrong about what is needed to compensate for you buying a pile of crap power supply.

Edit so far you have a 150 watt video card listed but it could be 20 watts or so more depending on the model can figure about 80 more watts for everything else (drives, motherboard, fans, USB devices ETC) then you need to add the processor that you never listed.

Last edited:
Solution

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I think that is about right for the actual wattage. I personally would buy a 550W PSU with decent reputation. Something like Corsair CX550 (non M) maybe??

EDIT: I just ran 550W search on newegg. If you are in the US, SuperFlower Leadex III Gold 550W is 55USD right now. Crazy good deal

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
if you look at the "tier list" on this forum (the first sticky) this PSU is in the top tier list. So I guess the answer is yes.
Interesting you mention EVGA because I believe EVGA PSUs used to be rebranded SuperFlower.

Nate926493

Prominent
Feb 4, 2022
This 80+ gold is cheaper than most of the bronze right now. I would get this if I were you... but that's me
https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-550f14hg-550w/p/1HU-024C-00008
if you look at the "tier list" on this thread (the first sticky) this PSU is in the top tier list. So I guess the answer is yes.
Interesting you mention EVGA because I believe EVGA PSUs used to be rebranded SuperFlower.
Ok cool I’ve never built a pc before thanks for the help this is my first time 👍

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I think that is about right for the actual wattage. I personally would buy a 550W PSU with decent reputation. Something like Corsair CX550 (non M) maybe??

EDIT: I just ran 550W search on newegg. If you are in the US, SuperFlower Leadex III Gold 550W is 55USD right now. Crazy good deal
And you can figure out the actual watts needed with just this information?
asrock b450m pro4 AMD r9 270 2gb 2x 4gb ddr4 Atech wraith stealth cooler (the free one that comes whith ryzen CPU’s) 1 120mm case fan and 1 120mm exhaust fan

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
And you can figure out the actual watts needed with just this information?
asrock b450m pro4 AMD r9 270 2gb 2x 4gb ddr4 Atech wraith stealth cooler (the free one that comes whith ryzen CPU’s) 1 120mm case fan and 1 120mm exhaust fan
well, the highest possible overclocked TDP for a Ryzen that comes with a cooler plus r9 270 (under 200W) still safe with over 100W margin.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ok cool I’ve never built a pc before thanks for the help this is my first time 👍
Evga power supplies are made by a lot of people some are garbage some are good.
Something else to think about is are you going to be upgrading your PC in the next 3 years or so it sux to buy to little now then upgrade and have to buy another one when you could of spent a few more dollars and keep using the one you buy now.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
well, the highest possible overclocked TDP for a Ryzen that comes with a cooler plus r9 270 (under 200W) still safe with over 100W margin.
I can agree with that. The thing first time builds usually never think about is if they are going to upgrade in a couple years then having to buy a power supply again sux when you could of spent a few more dollars the first time and reuse it.

Also EVGA power supplies are made by a lot of people some being complete junk.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I can agree with that. The thing first time builds usually never think about is if they are going to upgrade in a couple years then having to buy a power supply again sux when you could of spent a few more dollars the first time and reuse it.

Also EVGA power supplies are made by a lot of people some being complete junk.
I thought the same back in 2012 and bought a Seasonic X-1250W. That PSU never exceeded 600W for its life