[SOLVED] Is normal that when I connect another HDD to my PC it does not boot?

Oct 30, 2019
I have a dell optiplex 7060 SFF with an M.2 Toshiba´s disk of 256Gb and I was trying to have another Hard Drive (seagate 3TB) and just when I connect the second disk, my computer does not start, and when I disconnect the hard drive it starts again normally, I know that my computer does not support hard drives of more than 2TB but I want to know what is the reason of that does not start with the second disk (that probably does not work this drive because it makes a weird sound).

Solution
Your boot priority is probably looking to the HDD first, and because it's not bootable, fails to do so.
Without the HDD, it moves down the list and finds the SSD.

Enter the BIOS and make sure your boot priority is set to the SSD (you may potentially see labeling for "windows boot manager", in which case, select that).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your boot priority is probably looking to the HDD first, and because it's not bootable, fails to do so.
Without the HDD, it moves down the list and finds the SSD.

Enter the BIOS and make sure your boot priority is set to the SSD (you may potentially see labeling for "windows boot manager", in which case, select that).

Solution
Oct 30, 2019
I looked for that boot options and my SSD is in the first priority, I did a dell diagnostic and that diagnostics says that the disk has damage but is it enough reason to not to boot?

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I looked for that boot options and my SSD is in the first priority, I did a dell diagnostic and that diagnostics says that the disk has damage but is it enough reason to not to boot?

Don't think I've ever had a drive cause a pc to not boot, but I have had clean bad drives cause extremely crippling performance that makes the whole pc basically unusable