Is not having a secondary boot option a problem?

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I had installed the OS in my SSD without connecting my HDD (which has the old OS). After installation, when I connected the HDD, it isn't showing in the list of Secondary boot option in the priorities in UEFI (It is showing as connected though). Even after formatting the OS drive in the HDD, it isn't getting detected.
I am able to use the HDD without any problem. My question is that whether not having the HDD as the secondary boot priority after the SSD would cause any problems?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

I would think so. Perhaps it is due to how you formatted it (options chosen). If it can not ever be used as a boot drive, maybe it doesn't show up as such in the BIOS. (I am not really sure about that, just guessing). If you can read and write to the HDD without issue, I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing it as a boot option.

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

I have the OS on the SSD now and that is my primary boot option. There isn't any old OS in my HDD, but it isn't showing up in the secondary boot option list. Any solution for that?

Girish Iyer

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Yes, it does show up in both the BIOS and the device manager.

I would think so. Perhaps it is due to how you formatted it (options chosen). If it can not ever be used as a boot drive, maybe it doesn't show up as such in the BIOS. (I am not really sure about that, just guessing). If you can read and write to the HDD without issue, I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing it as a boot option.

Solution
I think it depends on the bios. Some bios's list all the hdd's and allows you to select boot priority of all of them. and some just give the option to boot to hdd(not a specific hdd, but the primary hdd).
google bios boot order, and look at the images and you'll see what i'm saying.