[SOLVED] Is not having a standoff short circuiting my system?

scho

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019
So i about 3 weeks ago, i built a new PC for the first time with these configurations:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rcYN7W

Although i built it for gaming, sadly i havent had enough time to play so i've been using it very lightly, just browsing the web, youtube, and occasionally a quick game of league of legends.

Last weekend, I had enough time on my hands so i started playing witcher 3 for a few hours on pretty much max setting, and everything ran pretty smoothly.

However today, as i was watching a couple of youtube videos and eating, my computer suddenly shut down and wouldn't power back on. There is a nasty snowstorm in my area so I thought that might have been it initially, but nothing else in the house powered off.

I unplugged the psu, disassembled the gpu, ram and the MOBO battery, put it all back together and the PC powered back on. However, everytime I played witcher for more than 10 minutes, the PC shut off and rebooted. I thought it might have been a hardware failure so I ran system and memory diagnostic but everything cameback ok. Booted the PC back on, and had no problems using it for light usage. But, everytime i try to play witcher, it lasts maybe 5-10 minutes before the pc shuts off and restarts.

I downloaded HWmonitor and noticed it shuts off when the GPU heats up to around 60 C degrees.

I'm thinking its not a hardware failure because everything does seem to run well until i put it under load. Because i was new when i was assembling the PC, i completely ignored the MOBO standoff, and now i'm thinking potentially that it is short circuiting the system when my GPU starts to really run and draw power from the PSU.

Also I dont know if its relevant, but the only thing i've changed in the BIOS is changing the AI overclock tuner to XMP to max my RAM, put CPU fan to ignore to get rid of the cpu fan error and using the asus EZ tuner to slightly overclock my PC.

Just trying to gauge for opinions here to see if i'm maybe not considering something other than the standoff?

Solution
If you haven't, I suggest you use standoffs, the back of the motherboard could touch the case and it could damage your components.

Have you change the settings in the BIOS to shutdown after reaching certain temperature?

Have you try resetting the changes in the BIOS (restoring it to default) and see if the issue goes away.

If you haven't, I suggest you use standoffs, the back of the motherboard could touch the case and it could damage your components.

Have you change the settings in the BIOS to shutdown after reaching certain temperature?

Have you try resetting the changes in the BIOS (restoring it to default) and see if the issue goes away.

Solution

scho

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019

Yes, i will put in the standoff tomorrow and see if anything changes.
Where do i check in the BIOS to see if its suppose to shut down after certain temps?
I did try using default settings in BIOS but PC still shut down when GPU was under load during gaming

scho

Prominent
Jan 28, 2019

cpu qfan control and aio pump control are both disabled so there does not seem to be a llimit..

I just reassembled the PC with the standoffs so i will give it a shot

TRENDING THREADS