Is not shutting off a computer bad??

So i have a dell latitude d830 running on a 80gb 5400rpm hdd(if any of this matters lol) and leave it on 24/7 using it probably 14-16/7 so is it bad to not leave it off its running linux mint. Also is closing the lid without turning it off bad.

First of all, it depends whether you mean "on" or "standby".

Your computer will wear out quicker when it's on, but if you're going into Standby it shouldn't make much difference. Standby just trickles a bit of power to the System RAM and parts of the motherboard so your screen, CPU, hard drive etc are powered down.

Closing lid:
As per above, if you're going into Standby (can change what happens when you close the lid) that's probably just fine.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Closing the lid every time you want it to shut off or sleep, that will cause wear on the hinges after 1,000s of times.

The computer won't care if it's on all the time, besides the hard drive but it's no big deal.
Put a distributed computing project on it such as folding@home to give it something useful to do while you are away from keyboard?

What is folding home?? Also i mean like if it displays the time so i guess its on standby not sleep where i have to press power button to turn on. By closing the lid i mean its on like now when im typing and i just close it is that bad. thansk guys.