[SOLVED] Is Now A Good Time To Upgrade My GPU?

LunarFirestorm

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
I currently have a GTX 1060 with 3GB of VRAM, which can still run most new games consistently with some setting tweaking, but I was looking to upgrade my GPU for new games that will be coming out after the new generation of consoles come out.

My question is, should I get a new GPU now (Something like the RTX 2060 KO Ultra seemed like a good choice if I were to get something now), or should I wait for Nvidia and AMD to release a new generation of GPUs (I have been told this is going to happen at some point this year) and buy one of the new series cards then?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you were to get a new card, and were in the US, there would be no point getting the 2060 because its performance is generally matched by the slightly less expensive RX 5600 XT.

But, given that (at least today, which is the last day of the rebate) you can get an RX 5700 for $302.99 (after $30 mail in rebate, which can actually be done online for this offer, as I can personally attest), then there's no point in getting the 5600XT with a the MSI 7500 Evoke OC at NewEgg being that inexpensive. (EDIT: crap, the instant rebate's not there anymore, adjusted description accordingly)

Whether you should depends on the rest of your system specs, including your monitor resolution and refresh rate (and if it has GSync, FreeSync, or neither), and what games you're playing.

But, other than that, I agree with @hang-the-9 - if you're getting good performance from your current setup, there's no need to upgrade.

Reactions: LunarFirestorm

LunarFirestorm

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Thanks for the answers everyone. It's what I was leaning towards so I'll just wait until new GPUs are released to upgrade. I have to play on a combination of medium to high settings for most new games but I still get a consistent 60fps so I'm not in a rush to upgrade.

Last edited: