[SOLVED] Is Oculus Rift S worth it?

ZombieLover97

Reputable
Apr 21, 2017
Hello everyone

I was browsing a site with used hardware and many people are selling their oculus rift S for 300 EUR - 360 USD and Quest 1(64gb) with VR link at 350 EUR - 425 USD

I have an I3 10100 , RX 5500XT 8GB , 16 gb ram so I am comfident that either option will function properly

I only want to play from my PC but I heard that Oculus stopped the support for the Rift S

So my Question is:
Is buying a Rift S a good idea or the Quest 1 is worth the extra money?

Solution
Not sure if the OP is still thinking about what VR headset to get, but if he is, I would recommend considering the Vive Pro 2. It was just announced within the last several days, and will have the highest resolution of any mainstream VR headset (even higher than the astonishing HP Reverb G2), base station tracking (excellent), pretty good 120 degree FOV, iirc you can use the superb Valve Index controllers with it, and iirc it also will be able to use those awesome wireless adapters from Vive.

That said, I'm a Valve Index owner and I'm totally satisfied with it, and probably would not want to get some other headset instead if it was even possible because it's pretty much the best mainstream VR headset in my opinion. The main...

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
The Quest 2 costs the same amount of money as the Rift S and has higher resolution. I can't think of any reason to get a Rift S instead of a Quest 2. Be warned though: the Quest 2 requires a Facebook account login to use, unlike other VR headsets, which many people dislike.

Be warned though: the Quest 2 requires a Facebook account login to use, unlike other VR headsets, which many people dislike.
That applies to all of the other Oculus headsets now as well though. You need to go with another brand of VR headset if you don't want the forced facebook login and subsequent data harvesting. Or more precisely, new users need to login with Facebook to use their device, and existing users will be forced to as well at the end of next year.

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
Not sure if the OP is still thinking about what VR headset to get, but if he is, I would recommend considering the Vive Pro 2. It was just announced within the last several days, and will have the highest resolution of any mainstream VR headset (even higher than the astonishing HP Reverb G2), base station tracking (excellent), pretty good 120 degree FOV, iirc you can use the superb Valve Index controllers with it, and iirc it also will be able to use those awesome wireless adapters from Vive.

That said, I'm a Valve Index owner and I'm totally satisfied with it, and probably would not want to get some other headset instead if it was even possible because it's pretty much the best mainstream VR headset in my opinion. The main things VR headsets need to improve on (in my opinion) are wireless capability and FOV, and to my knowledge there isn't any mainstream VR headset with a better FOV than the Valve Index at this time.. (Yes of course there's Pimax, but that isn't mainstream and it has problems like visual distortions that haven't been taken care of yet.)

Even with the Valve Index, I still get the feeling I'm looking at the virtual world through some goggles or binoculars or something because the FOV is too small, so I wouldn't want to go with a headset that has an FOV that is any smaller.

Vive Pro 2 with its 120 degree FOV sounds like it is closer to the Index in FOV than the competition from Oculus, so I suggest you at least take a look at it before making a decision.

That said, I'm a Valve Index owner and I'm totally satisfied with it, and probably would not want to get some other headset instead if it was even possible because it's pretty much the best mainstream VR headset in my opinion. The main things VR headsets need to improve on (in my opinion) are wireless capability and FOV, and to my knowledge there isn't any mainstream VR headset with a better FOV than the Valve Index at this time.. (Yes of course there's Pimax, but that isn't mainstream and it has problems like visual distortions that haven't been taken care of yet.)

Even with the Valve Index, I still get the feeling I'm looking at the virtual world through some goggles or binoculars or something because the FOV is too small, so I wouldn't want to go with a headset that has an FOV that is any smaller.

Vive Pro 2 with its 120 degree FOV sounds like it is closer to the Index in FOV than the competition from Oculus, so I suggest you at least take a look at it before making a decision.
Considering they were trying to decide between two headsets priced around the $400 range, I kind of doubt they are in the market for a headset that's priced at $1400 for anyone requiring the base stations and controllers. Even the Index is priced at $1000 for the full kit. At least with a Reverb G2, one is getting the complete package for around $600, even if the controllers aren't as accurate. But even that's around double what they would be getting one of these units for when looking at European pricing.

And the higher resolution isn't exactly going to benefit them much when paired with a 5500 XT. Those headsets are not exactly priced for a "mainstream" market, and with graphics card prices the way they are currently, upgrading a PC to run them well isn't going to be very practical either.

Solution