Dec 7, 2020
Hellooo,

I recently decided to boot up my old PC after about 2 years of not turning it on.
It’s running an AMD A6 7400k 3.5GHz Dual Core Processor with 8GB of RAM. Its running much slower than it used too. It’s even slower than my old 1.4 GHz 4GB 2014 MacBook Air.

I’m going to be using for Music Production on Ableton Live 11.

Will the HDD need to be replaced (probs with an SSD) to get it back up to speed??
Thanks 😊

do realize that after a couple years of inactivity, you likely have 99+ batches of OS updates downloading/ running...which will slow things down.

If running WIn10, and it was activated previously, it might be best to simply download the latest to USB from MS, and do a fresh install of the OS, then your driver packages, then a smaller batch of updates...then fresh install your games (if applicable)/assorted apps.

Certainly, an SSD over a spinning hard drive makes a huge difference in perceived speed in almost every task...

Reactions: croftl
Dec 7, 2020
do realize that after a couple years of inactivity, you likely have 99+ batches of OS updates downloading/ running...which will slow things down.

If running WIn10, and it was activated previously, it might be best to simply download the latest to USB from MS, and do a fresh install of the OS, then your driver packages, then a smaller batch of updates...then fresh install your games (if applicable)/assorted apps.

Certainly, an SSD over a spinning hard drive makes a huge difference in perceived speed in almost every task...
When I started it up the first thing I did was reinstall windows, wiped the computer(I didn’t need anything from it) and did all the driver updates. Sorry I didn’t mention that above.