[SOLVED] Is overclockable RTX 2070 mobile gpu??

Oct 18, 2019
I own ROG STRIX SCAR 2 (i7 8750H, 115W RTX 2070, 16GB DDR4...) My question is is it possible to overclock laptop's GPU (talking about core clock)
During heavy gaming its pushing itself up to 1875mhz... Is it possible for it to go even higher then that and how to do it safely?

GPU Info
-NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 (TU106 PROCESSOR) 8GB GDDR6
-Base clock 1215mhz
-Boost clock 1440mhz (dont understand how it can go up to 1875 if boost is only 1440mhz but that says "Armoury crate" thats checking speeds)

Solution
GPU Boost will let the GPU run at whatever speed it thinks it can achieve. What you are seeing is the best the GPU can do given power and temperature constraints.

You can overclock, I wouldn't recommend it. Laptops have pretty strict thermals. So if you add core clock only, it will run a little warmer, which may end up causing throttling. But if you don't mind the fan spinning at maximum speed, you can see what it can do on its own without further adjustment. You can also try increasing the memory speed, that will have less impact on temperatures and can give quite a boost to performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GPU Boost will let the GPU run at whatever speed it thinks it can achieve. What you are seeing is the best the GPU can do given power and temperature constraints.

You can overclock, I wouldn't recommend it. Laptops have pretty strict thermals. So if you add core clock only, it will run a little warmer, which may end up causing throttling. But if you don't mind the fan spinning at maximum speed, you can see what it can do on its own without further adjustment. You can also try increasing the memory speed, that will have less impact on temperatures and can give quite a boost to performance.

Solution
Oct 18, 2019

Do you think that asus gpu tweak 2 is okay for gpu oc? I know msi afterburner is probably one of the best for that but i rly dont like it cuz i have problems in some games with it such as league of legends - the game wont start if msi afterburner is on idk why...
And one more thing...
Before i opened laptop cleaned it etc max possible fan speed was for CPU 7500RPM, and for GPU 7000RPM
For some reason after cleaning the laptop from insane amount of dust max speeds are now lower - cpu max 6700 and gpu 5800rpm

Those fan speeds i can only achieve in "manual" mode cuz in turbo it will run faster or slower depanding on gpu/cpu temps...

So my question is why i cant run my fans faster then before?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much impossible to screw things up. Nvidia has their cards locked down quite well. You can play with the power sliders, fan curves, and GPU clock and Memory clock offsets usually. You will still be using GPU Boost at all times. You are just changing the upper limits. If it starts crashing, turn the frequency settings back down. If it starts overheating under regular gameplay, turn the fans up, or turn down the power.

Weirdly, the solution to better average performance is to underpower the GPU. If it is stable at a lower power(voltage) output, it will run cooler, and be able to boost higher.

Oddly that is normal behavior for blocked fans. When there is less air coming in they spin faster, due to less resistance. When you clear obstructions the fan blades have more air to move, so do more work. If they are outputting more power into moving air, then they slow down, rather than turning that excess power into rotational speed.

You can test this yourself. Find a fan, put your hand in front of it, it should have a higher pitch.

Oct 18, 2019
Wooow, that reply rly helped me a lot, thanks man!
I'll do my best to undervolt the gpu as well and overclock it a bit until i find a perfect sweet spot without getting crashes... so cpu is now stable at -120mV for both, cache and core, and now i'll try to do the same with gpu - voltage down, clock up

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, you can only go up to 1.1 volts. Only room to go down from there. If it gets unstable, worst case you boot into safe mode and prevent GPU Tweak from launching. Or set it to not launch at startup at all, so that if you get a crash it doesn't automatically come back on.

Oct 18, 2019
Is it too much if i crank up base clock that it starts from 1400 instead of factory 1215? and highest possible clock from factory 1920 to 2100 mhz?
There is no chance i can destory something right?

Cuz blue screen will shut down and prevent that?