Question Is overclocking for something for me?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 18, 2019
Hi there. This is my first post and is pretty much something that has been bothering me for some time.

First of all my Hardware specs:
PSU: Be quiet! Power Zone 850W
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z-370F-Gaming
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1TB
CPU: Intel I7 8700K
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 8GBx2
CPU Cooler: Be quiet! 360 Silent Loop
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming

Now here comes my issue.
I have always wanted to overclock my cpu and I have read a few guides on how to do it but if I am completely honest, I got no idea what I am doing.
I don't have a much knowledge about it and really don't know if I should even do it.
The games I play run at ultra settings without problems and without overheating but I still want to overclock.
Maybe the only reason I want to overclock is because of all the people I see doing it on the internet. At the same time I really don't want to ruin my hardware while trying to do so.
I do feel that having an I7 8700k it would be a waste to not overclock it and maybe get even more performance out of my computer to get steady 120 fps in games.

After all this my question is pretty simple actually.
I would like to overclock but do I really have to?

PS: I know this is a weird question but there have to be people that felt the same before overclocking their computer correctly for the first time. If you can share your personal experience it would help me out a lot.

Thanks for reading.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Fry178: depends on the game, fortnite is one of the games he would still be bottlenecked by cpu (single core performance) rather than gpu. If he likes going high / very high settings then obviously gpu will be the bottleneck in every game.
And yes graphics card overclocking is very simple and with 10 series you cant do any harm since voltage is locked and even bios flashing wont help since its hardware lock. Only thing is to keep the temperatures at safe range for longelivity. You can max out power limit