IS OVERCLOCKING LEGAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, it is perfectly legal.

Yes, you will likely void your product warranty

No, I don't think the average computer shop will overclock your computer for you and warranty it. There are definitely specialty shops that do so. But this is not a reasonable request for most places.

Overclocking is fine and legal. I say it's best to do it yourself, but if you're going to take it to someone make sure they have a good rep for doing it. It's easy to fry parts if you don't know what you're doing and they could just say that it's got faulty parts or that it's your fault for some reason.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

stupid question.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Illegal to overclock? Its a good question. Are there any laws out there, anything in the criminal codes about overclocking? Are we gonna see hardware monitors built into the cores to check for overclocking and when you do overclock, is the local police gonna get an email and come knocking at the door?

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Illegal? Only for you.

Kidding! It's your computer, right? Do whatever you want to it. But if you have to ask whether or not it's legal, you probably want to find out a little more about overclocking before you attempt it, yeah?

And you will void your warranty, of course.

You could get a friend to do it, but it's probably best to do some research. Then, once you know a bit more, you should do it yourself. I think that'd be better in the long run. You will want to fiddle with this computer, yeah? And you might end up wanting to overclock your future computers.

Well, if I totally misunderstood the situation then just ignore me :eek:

Funny question, but with the legalities of copying music, pirated software and the like these days, I can see how a lesser computer buff would think overclocking might be "illegal".
Of course it is not, but if you have to take your PC someplace to have it overclocked, then overclocking is not for you. You need to know what is "under the hood" of your PC so to speak and be ready to deal with problems that can arise from overclocking. Don't know how? Will you can learn, there are only about a hundred thousand articles on how to do it. Google is your friend.

You play, you pay is the way it used to be. But with our current lower criminal courts situation, I wouldn't worry about anything less serious than murder one. Look, an armed robbery conviction used to get you three square meals, medical, insentives and a roof over you head at tax payer expense. Now days, it will get you probation and a spot on one of the dumbest shows. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.