Question Is overclocking my cpu safe?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I have an Intel core i5 7640x. From what I understand this cpu is made to be tweaked with but I'm afraid I'll kill it because I dont really know alot about overclocking. Will the computer crash before anything gets damaged? I'm closely watching temps. I used intel extreme tuning utility a few days ago and somebody got a much higher speed out of the same cpu and it said 100% compatible with my system so I downloaded it and ran the settings and got the blue screen of death. Will this kill my cpu? Also is oc genie safe for long term use? I've had it turned on since I built the computer in 2018.

Barty1884

Titan
Will the computer crash before anything gets damaged?
Generally, yes.

got the blue screen of death. Will this kill my cpu?
No, not in isolation. Depending on the cause of the BSOD, it might accelerate degredation of the chip, but a BSOD itself is not going to damage hardware.

Overclocking is reasonably 'safe'. Increasing multipliers etc won't do any damage - you may see instability as a result, but that's not going to damage anything.

What can degrade, or outright kill a CPU is voltage. Provided you're keeping the chip below either the offical or the generally accepted 'safe' voltage for the chip, then you should be fine.

IIRC, you probably want to keep that chip <1.3V, but as a quad-core with no HT, <1.3V should be plenty to get you up to the ~5GHz range.

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Generally, yes.

No, not in isolation. Depending on the cause of the BSOD, it might accelerate degredation of the chip, but a BSOD itself is not going to damage hardware.

Overclocking is reasonably 'safe'. Increasing multipliers etc won't do any damage - you may see instability as a result, but that's not going to damage anything.

What can degrade, or outright kill a CPU is voltage. Provided you're keeping the chip below either the offical or the generally accepted 'safe' voltage for the chip, then you should be fine.

IIRC, you probably want to keep that chip <1.3V, but as a quad-core with no HT, <1.3V should be plenty to get you up to the ~5GHz range.
Thank you that's alot of good information. OC genie keeps it at 4.5ghz so 5 would be a pretty good improvement.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
CPU Base Clock: 100MHz

CPU Ratio: 45

Core number: 4

CPU PCIe Lanes: 16

CPU core Voltage: 1.248v

Intel turbo boost technology: yes

Hyper-threading technology: N/A

Intel virtualization Technology: enabled

Execute Disable Bit: enabled