Question Is overclocking my ram worth it?

zackthaboss

Reputable
Feb 25, 2017
So I am on a ryzen 5 2600, msi rtx 2060 gaming z, 16gb corsair vengeance lpx 3000MHz C15 kit (8x2), and an msi x470 gaming plus.

I've been thinking about overclocking my ram using the xmp presets and I'm just wondering if it will damage anything and secondly, will I even notice any improvements. Also, is overclocking ram pointless if I don't also overclock my CPU?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The built in XMP profiles will only go to 3000mhz. Do you have that on or not? You should.

Overclocking the ram would be to go beyond that manually, no preset will work, it requires some trial and error. TBH the most you'll probably get is 3200mhz, so to me normally i say its not worth the effort.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

zackthaboss

Reputable
Feb 25, 2017
The built in XMP profiles will only go to 3000mhz. Do you have that on or not? You should.

Overclocking the ram would be to go beyond that manually, no preset will work, it requires some trial and error. TBH the most you'll probably get is 3200mhz, so to me normally i say its not worth the effort.
Well my ram is currently running at 2133MHz and I was thinking of going up to 2667 or something.

I've been thinking about overclocking my ram using the xmp presets and I'm just wondering if it will damage anything and secondly, will I even notice any improvements. Also, is overclocking ram pointless if I don't also overclock my CPU?

Overclocking by using XMP definitely won't damage anything since XMP presets were loaded by the DIMM manufacturer as a validated operating point. The improved data access speed of overclocked RAM complements the improved processing speed of an overclocked CPU so it's definitely not pointless to do so.

Modern hardware is so much better optimized 'out of the box' than prior generations that the kind of overclocking average users do is usually an incremental improvement and not the radical big improvement you might have seen before. So whether or not you actually notice it depends on how you are using it and frequently only noticeable in sensitive benchmarks. But even small improvements are worth exploiting if they come as easily as just enabling an XMP profile.

zx128k

Reputable

Yes it is worth it performance wise, if you can get good RAM with tight timings. Also you need to tighten the timings further yourself. Is it worth the money, not really for the expensive kits which is why you target a cheaper kit and overclock it.

How to find Samsung b-die

Exampe: 3200Mhz 14-14-14-34 @1.35v

One of the comments, " I have since tinkered with it and so far I can run at 3400Mhz with the CL14 latencies, and even 3600Mhz with slightly looser timings (14, 16, 16,16). "

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XFT7DF9/ref=psdc_430511031_t4_B01MZ8R8WQ

You can overclock your way to better performance than this kit, if you are ryzen 3000.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-Tr...7?keywords=ddr4+3800mhz&qid=1574709933&sr=8-7

Getting CL14 for me at 3800 required 1.5 volts (getting them to boot requires that voltage) but my overall timings were tighter at CL15 @ 1.45volts. You need a balance of good timings and frequency. That way in game you get the best performance because your frame times are reduced.

With Ryzen 3000, all you need to do overclocking wise is get that bad 66ns RAM latency in aida64 down to 63ns @ 3800. You need to be careful with the dram voltage. Some kits have IC's that will die above 1.45volts. You have to be careful, not put stupid amounts of voltage into your RAM.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Last edited:
The Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz C15 kit that you have is made to run at DDR4 3000 out of the box and you should immediately set this in the BIOS via the XMP setting as you are missing performance especially with a Ryzen system.. Over and above that, you can go a little further to say DDR4 3200 with out too much effort but that would be changing some RAM settings. I would just engage XMP to start with to make sure you are getting the speed you paid for and then if you want to go on an overclocking adventure with the RAM, there are some great guides on YouTube and the like...

zx128k

Reputable
Like I was saying on PM the 3D mark score increases with the tightening of the RAM timings. This might be of use to the OP.

With just the RAM timing tightened I get between 11300-11500~ cpu score. This is an increase from stock 3600 CL16 which gives 10700 time spy cpu marks. So overclocking the RAM and tightening the timings is worth it. Also I do overclock the IF with the RAM which helps performance.

The only issue is you might not see any increase in game if you are already GPU bound but if you need more cpu performance tuning your RAM can help. I am using samsung b-die.

Latest posts