Question Is Overclocking Safe ?

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Just wondering? I heard it can heat your system up and make it unstable ?
Also what is the benefit ? My PC is very fast as it is

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with Radeon Vega RX Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320 M-H
Ram: 2 x 4GB of HyperX Fury DDR4
SSD/HDD: SSD 120GB, HDD 1TB
GPU: Radeon Vega RX Graphics
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W 80 Plus
Chassis: Fractal Design

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
overclocking has its ups and downs and is generally safe as long as you know what you are doing and have the appropriate hardware (good cooling solution for both cpu/gpu/mem which ever you gonna OC and a good PSU).
it can make your system unstable, in some cases but it mostly only happens if the OC it self is unstable to begin with but there are probably some applications that dont like overclocks.

but if your pc is doing what its supposed to do at your current settings (eg. stock) and you are happy with it you dont really need to OC.
its best reserved for last resort free performance boost , benchmarking or for just the fun of it.

if you do want to overclock id suggest looking at specific guides for your CPU or which ever component you plan to OC to get a general idea of it, mind you not one component is the same and you might get better or worse results than the guide you are looking at and its a slow process and require a lot of patience.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Just wondering? I heard it can heat your system up and make it unstable ?
Also what is the benefit ? My PC is very fast as it is

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with Radeon Vega RX Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320 M-H
Ram: 2 x 4GB of HyperX Fury DDR4
SSD/HDD: SSD 120GB, HDD 1TB
GPU: Radeon Vega RX Graphics
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W 80 Plus
Chassis: Fractal Design

Long story short. YES if you're reckless, you can even damage your hardware, but its very hard on modern platform. Usually cpu's can take 5-10% OC without much problem, but on AMD platform it's not a lot of gain.
If you don't plan to tinker, use stock cooler, then don't bother.

Best way to do it now is to enable PBO, which will OC automaticly up to the point your PC can take:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVQIL_nn7OY

its a balance of both worlds, where cpu will stay cool when you dont use it and go OC for a while when you need extra power. (still using aftermarket, bigger cooler is recommended something like Cryorig H7)

Reactions: drea.drechsler

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Thanks guys. Not gonna OC but just asking about it.

I run Linux so the best way to OC would be in the BIOS right ?

The only reason i'd overclock is because when watching videos or playing games and the camera moves side to side quickly, I get screen tearing.

I've tried a new monitor and it still does it, OC'ing wouldn't fix it would it ?

Last edited:
Best way to do it now is to enable PBO, which will OC automaticly up to the point your PC can take:
....bigger cooler is recommended ....

I think it's a bit of a mystery which has more impact: enabling PBO or better cooling. To be sure, the stock cooler that comes with AMD processors is good enough to get base-level performance and many people really find no reason to change. But with way better cooling, especially on Ryzen 3000, the processor will boost to higher mid-level clocks for longer under heavy loads. It doesn't seem as though just enabling PBO can help with that as it's related to the boosting algorithm not seeing enough thermal headroom which PBO doesn't affect.

Reviewers say Ry3k is more like GPU's have been for a while in that cooling is more important than brute-force manual overclocking to get more performance in heavily loaded scenarios.

@simmyx : yes, overclocking in BIOS is always best IMO. Also, the only utility I know of to do in the OS is Ryzenmaster and that's a Windows app.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Of course this is all a moot point, you can't OC on an A320 series motherboard.

But just for general info, Yes, OC can damage a pc, if done wrong. Just like shaving can cut up your face if you do it wrong. Do it right, and there's no problems.

Screen tearing is when the gpu outputs more frames than the refresh of the monitor can handle, so you get 2x frames at once. There's some fixes, some that may or may not work depending on the game. You can try turning on 'hardware acceleration' if the game allows such, or enabling vsync/adaptive vsync or freesync/G-Sync if the monitor has it. Also bump up graphics settings, which lowers gpu outputs.