Question is overclocking worth it?/are my temps ok to oc with?

Nov 25, 2020
PC PARTS.
i7 9700k
EVGA RTX 2060 SC ultra (2 fan)
GSKILL 16gb 3200mhz ram
ASROCK z390 Pro4 * everything is stock.
GIGABYTE 650W PSU. (power consumption is no problem)

I am wondering if it is worth it to OC my PC?

will I get a big performance increase?
is it worth the extra heat?

should I OC my ram too? (does intel benefit from high ram frequencies?)

i currently have a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Ml240l as my CPU cooler (using MasterGel pro thermal paste that was included with AIO) temps are...

CPU = 25c-30c (idle) 45c-60c (underload) and 71c max during 20min stress test

GPU = 50c-55c (idle) (55-71) underload *I play games at ultra 1080p 144fps if that makes GPU hotter...

i also have 4 case fans (6 including ones on radiator) (8 including GPU) all in a corsair spec delta case.

Last edited:

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
PC PARTS.
i7 9700k
EVGA RTX 2060 SC ultra (2 fan)
GSKILL 16gb 3200mhz ram
ASROCK z390 Pro4 * everything is stock.
GIGABYTE 650W PSU. (power consumption is no problem)

I am wondering if it is worth it to OC my PC?

will I get a big performance increase?
is it worth the extra heat?

should I OC my ram too? (does intel benefit from high ram frequencies?)

i currently have a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Ml240l as my CPU cooler (using MasterGel pro thermal paste that was included with AIO) temps are...

CPU = 25c-30c (idle) 45c-60c (underload) and 71c max during 20min stress test

GPU = 50c-55c (idle) (55-71) underload *I play games at ultra 1080p 144fps if that makes GPU hotter...

i also have 4 case fans (6 including ones on radiator) (8 including GPU) all in a corsair spec delta case.
Hello!
You should see what kind of clocks other people get with parts like yours online and how much it benefits performance and affects temperatures. Usually the rtx 2060 overclocks itself, but I don't know how much you would be able to OC your CPU and what kind of a performance benefit it would have. Depends on the CPU cooler. It's different for everyone. If you are new to CPU overclocking and use the PC for gaming only, if I were you I wouldn't do the overclocking. As for the RAM OC, intel doesn't benefit from higher RAM frequencies as much as AMD does, so I don't think there is a point in doing that.

Depends really, It can help in certain cases, but it is really worth it? Well if you get another 5 - 10 fps from overclocking, it can be worth it for games that are getting bad performance. But is the extra heat, power draw and maybe a crash here and there worth it?

To me its worth it, its free performance, I typically don't stay on the same platform for more than 7 -8 years, so I want to squeeze all I can out of it, so the life of the components really isn't even a factor for me, Heat, well I bought a good cooler, and power draw, well my power bill is pretty cheap, so its not a huge issue.

I went from encoding a 30 min video in handbrake which took around 15min with my custom preset, at stock to under 10min at 4ghz on all cores, worth it to me, but most games, my GPU is the limiting factor, so a overclocked CPU isn't going to improve a whole lot in my case.