Is Parity RAM same as ECC Ram??

MarcoG7

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Just Bought on AMAZON 2x4GB Kingston Server RAM, when they arrived i saw that nowhere on the package is stated ECC but only Parity e.g: Kingston 4GB PC3-12800 Parity REG CL11 - 240PIN DIMM, so i am asking myself is they are ECC??

Now i am confused as i have 2 other RAM from Kingston 2x8GB but they both have ECC written on it!!!

Can someone help me understand the difference between both??

Thanks

Solution

No they are not the same thing.

Parity memory provides for the detection of, but not the correction of single bit errors. Parity cannot detect multi-bit errors.

ECC memory provides for the detection of, and the correction of single big errors. ECC memory can detect but not correct multi-bit errors.

noise

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
Parity and ECC are not precisely the same thing. As I understand it, parity is error detection - ECC is detection and correction.

It could just be a labelling error of course. See if you can find a model/part number on the DIMMs and look that up for confirmation.

No they are not the same thing.

Parity memory provides for the detection of, but not the correction of single bit errors. Parity cannot detect multi-bit errors.

ECC memory provides for the detection of, and the correction of single big errors. ECC memory can detect but not correct multi-bit errors.

Solution

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

ECC uses parity bits, and enough parity bits allows as many data bits to be corrected as desired.

ECC memory adds a few parity bits to each group of data bits (i.e., 64 data bits, 8 parity bits), and those parity bits are handled as a single group, while parity memory allows each parity bit to be addressed individually. Parity memory can be used in place of ECC memory, but not vice-versa. However I believe the distinction matters only for antique computers with 72-pin, 36-bit SIMMs and chipsets like the Intel 430HX, which require parity memory for ECC operation.