[SOLVED] IS partition left on computer after new HD is installed?

Vfmorton

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
IS partition left on computer after new HD is installed? If so doesn't that have my installation recovery section?

Solution
I can't remember about Win 8.1 (didn't stay with it very long), but Win 10 will allow you to do a clean install of the OS from right in the OS. No need for a recovery partition. And if you have a DVD installation disk, you can even re-install in case you can't get into the OS. So, you don't really need a recovery partition.

Vfmorton

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
So is it mandatory to create a new partition? If you keep a backup on cd/usb or other , does this have to be done or not?
Many thanks for answering my queries so quickly! I already have my 8.1 downloaded onto a dvd and will go for a HD tomorrow. Great learning site!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I can't remember about Win 8.1 (didn't stay with it very long), but Win 10 will allow you to do a clean install of the OS from right in the OS. No need for a recovery partition. And if you have a DVD installation disk, you can even re-install in case you can't get into the OS. So, you don't really need a recovery partition.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Have you considered upgrading from w8.1 to w10? If you have an activated copy of windows 8.1, the upgrade to W10 is still free. And you can do an in-place upgrade w/o losing any of your data. Simply download the update tool while you're in the 8.1 environment, and it will walk you thru the upgrade.

Vfmorton

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016

Vfmorton

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Yes that is my plan , however because I am not too tech savy I decided I will take it back to the support at Staples and get them to load my windows and get it working. I did know that I have free win 10 upgrade. I have two more computers & two phones with win 10 so did not think it would be a problem. I had NO problem installing the HD but I just could not get it to load anything from the win8.1 install disk.
Thanks for your help.