[SOLVED] Is PC gaming officially dead?

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
It cryptocurrency mining going to completely kill of PC gaming?

Will video games be exclusive to consoles?

It is almost impossible to obtain a new graphics card from Nvidia or from AMD because crypto miners purchase them the very second they become available online.

Also, the price of a high-end GPU's could go over $10,000 in the next couple of years because of the demand for them on the behalf of miners.

Because of this, PC gamers will not be able to play games because they are not able to obtain a graphics card.

The only cards that will be available are used, previous generation models being sold on the internet for bloated prices.

What? Everyone and their mother wants a 3000 series, they're hard to get, not impossible. Mining isn't some evil force out there stopping anyone from gaming. Infact, a lot of people mine and game at the same time. Not everyone is buying 50 cards to fill the warehouse they own with mining stations.
10k for a gpu? Never.
Man go find a microcenter and be patient lol
Or join EVGAs que system.

Reactions: LolaGT

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I'm more concerned with developers ability to actually release worthy and awesome to play pc games than I am with hardware requisitioning ... so much more that can be achieved with what most people currently have in their pc's.

I can count on my fingers the play worthy titles that I had my hands on in the last couple of years...

g-unit1111

Titan
It cryptocurrency mining going to completely kill of PC gaming?

Will video games be exclusive to consoles?

It is almost impossible to obtain a new graphics card from Nvidia or from AMD because crypto miners purchase them the very second they become available online.

Also, the price of a high-end GPU's could go over $10,000 in the next couple of years because of the demand for them on the behalf of miners.

I don't want to bring up the GRAPES rule but there are other reasons besides mining that are keeping parts from being imported right now. So part of it is mining and the other part is political, I will refrain from the argument, but you can certainly Google the reason behind why imports are being stalled currently.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
If I am too upgrade again, hopefully they (AMD and NViDiA) or some others come up with something far better than:
Will I have to wait until The RTX 4000 and Radeon RX 7000?
that...

More appealing labels, way better specs and performance, detail level for the buck...than we are currently observing the quick money makers in the hardware sector to be.

Last edited:

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
The reason PC components are hard to come by is desktop gamer demand as much as anything. The desktop market was up before the mining craze took off.

Every last single person willing to set out the cash to buy a card has the same right to do so, and is just as worthy as the next person in line. Doesn't matter if they want to game, mine, or make a yard ornament out of it to put next to the bird house in their back yard.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm more concerned with developers ability to actually release worthy and awesome to play pc games than I am with hardware requisitioning ... so much more that can be achieved with what most people currently have in their pc's.

I can count on my fingers the play worthy titles that I had my hands on in the last couple of years...

This ^^^

Also, you don't need the most high-end, brand new, GPU to play games. Most games today run just fine on 2-year old hardware. This sounds more of a vanity complaint than an actual problem. (I need everyone to know I have the best!)

PC gaming is huge right now, probably opposite of what the OP is actually thinking. Streaming platforms highlight PC gaming on such a higher % than any other gaming platform. My son and every one of his 20 friends upgraded to PCs and away from consoles in the last 3 months....this is just a small comparison. None of them play console anymore....at all.

To be honest, the gaming market gets stifled because everyone and their brother wants to have the 'next big thing'.

In the early to mid 2000's this was an introduction of quality first person shooters - Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc.
In the mid 2000's this changed to RTS, real time strategy games - Command and Conquer & Supreme Commander. Also Warcraft and Starcraft
In the 2010's and mid teens, we started to see a shift to multiplayer focus only games - Call of Duty, etc. Games with minimal single player, mostly multiplayer content. Oh, and Minecraft, which spawned endless 'do and also craft' games.
This also shifted into the late 20-teens and early 2020's as more of the same. Just now everyone has to have their own version of battle royale or some different version of the same exact multiplayer game.

I beg of game devs - please do something new and different. I'm so tired of the only options consisting of 300 different ways to play Fortnite or Call of Duty.

Hence, why I play Factorio, 7 Days to Die, Supreme Commander and World of Tanks.

There's a new C&C remake which is a re-skin of Generals which is in development...looks promising.

Reactions: iTRiP

USAFRet

Titan