[SOLVED] Is PCI-E 4.0 a good enough reason to justify getting an X570 board?

Oct 8, 2019
I am upgrading my PC to a 3700X and I want to overclock. Is the PCI-E 4.0 support by the X570 chipset enough reason to get an X570 or should I get an X370 or X470?

Solution
If you plan on upgrading to a 3950x or the next gen Ryzen in a few years then the X570 would probably be a good investment.
But on the other hand I have a 3700x on my ROG Strix B450-F (with PBO enabled) and it runs it Very well, so any decent B450 or X470 MB would work fine with a 3700x.
As far as OCing my 3700x, I really don't see any point it doing that since it performs so well with PBO enabled.
And it seems the only way to get any real gain is by doing a per CCX OC which would be pretty time consuming and is only possible on a few MB's that have the necessary options in the BIOS.

And I'm sure my MB would run a 3900x just fine at stock settings and probably even with PBO enabled.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If you plan on upgrading to a 3950x or the next gen Ryzen in a few years then the X570 would probably be a good investment.
But on the other hand I have a 3700x on my ROG Strix B450-F (with PBO enabled) and it runs it Very well, so any decent B450 or X470 MB would work fine with a 3700x.
As far as OCing my 3700x, I really don't see any point it doing that since it performs so well with PBO enabled.
And it seems the only way to get any real gain is by doing a per CCX OC which would be pretty time consuming and is only possible on a few MB's that have the necessary options in the BIOS.

And I'm sure my MB would run a 3900x just fine at stock settings and probably even with PBO enabled.

Last edited:
Solution
I am upgrading my PC to a 3700X and I want to overclock. Is the PCI-E 4.0 support by the X570 chipset enough reason to get an X570 or should I get an X370 or X470?
Advantage of x570 are only PCIe 4 and with it faster NVMe SSDs in both M.2 slots running at NVMe speed while x470 can only do NVMe in one slot. Also possibly being only ones to work with next gen, Ryzen 4000. That part is not clear yet.
Negative would be price and for some people fan on the chipset.
Even 3900x/3950x shouldn't be a problem on any better x470 MB, 3700x certainly is not a problem on b450 MB if it's VRM is on any high level.
As far as PCIe 4 goes, there are no GPUs that can even remotely saturate it's bandwidth, heck, even v3 is not fully utilized yet.

Reactions: DMAN999
D

Deleted member 14196

Not dealing with shoddy bios updates, on older chipsets, is a good enough reason.
this is also how i feel. i don't like having to flash, period. unless it is really needed, and for a new box, it should never be needed.

as for VRMs I don't care. No overclocking here. ever. my systems tend to last me at least 10 good years.

Reactions: DMAN999

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
From what Ive read there's hardly any practical difference with PCIE4 over 3.

PCIE4 was massively delayed and PCIE5 is due out soon with PCIE6 due at the end of 2021.

AMD are only supporting the AM4 socket until next year so the next generation of AMD processors after 2020 would need a new motherboard anyway.

So probably better getting a cheap B450, X570 is a waste of money

Oct 8, 2019

Awesome thank you! I do plan on upgrading in a few years games permitted, this is my first time upgrading in 4 years(from an A8-7870). I have not heard of PBO before is that a BIOS setting?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
this is also how i feel. i don't like having to flash, period. unless it is really needed, and for a new box, it should never be needed.

as for VRMs I don't care. No overclocking here. ever. my systems tend to last me at least 10 good years.

If that's the case, get a decent budget X570 like the Asrock Pro4, having the PCIe 4.0 will be handy in the future, even more when you have the system for so long. And since you dont plan on overclocking you can easily go for a more entry level motherboard.