Is pci express slot the same as pci slot?

vlearms

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hello,My son got Fallout New Vegas for his pc but it won't work. Says T&L not compatible with adapter. I was told he needed a new graphics card, but am afraid his pc doesn't have the right slot. He has 3 PCI slots and a AGP slot

PCI-e is not the same as the old PCI slot from the late 1980's / early 1990's. PCI-e was developed around 2004 to replace the AGP port.

Currently the best AGP card that can be bought new is the Radeon HD 4670. It's rather weak compared to current generation video cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337

It sounds like the PC is over 8 years old so don't expect good performance in Fallout New Vegas.

vlearms

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

I decided to let him borrow my pc, it says i have several PCI express slots, but still says not compatible with adapter. Is there an upgrade i can dowmload offline to fix this?

An upgrade to what?

You may have pci-e slots available, but do you have any pci-e video cards in the slots?? Your not going to be able to run a new game on some crappy integrated gpu.

Please clarify your question.

vlearms

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

I have 2 perfect world games on my pc that i play currently and the graphics are fine..as for , are there any cards in the slots? I have no idea. I don't open them up,I just want to find a solution to this without pawning my cats lol. Here are my specs, maybe you can tell from this?

Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCE Express Root Port-2660
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCE Express Root Port-2662
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCE Express Root Port-2664
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM PCE Express Root Port-2666

Without knowing what you or your son have now, it's nearly impossible to tell you what you need other than the minimum and recommended system requirements I linked above.

It seems to me your kid should be telling you what you need, call me crazy but kids usually know a lot more about computers than their parents.

Even the recommended hardware is obsolete stuff, to play it nicely at a good resolution your going to need something even better than what they recommend. If your kids computer has a AGP slot, it's ancient and not going to play it very well.

Get your kid a Playstation 3. He'll be able to play any games and you can use it as a blue ray player. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

vlearms

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
He has a play station 3, and a xbox 360..and No he doesn't know that much about computers, sorry. I am the one that hooked him up with the games. I guess maybe this site isn't for me, I don't need the sarcasm. I am simply trying to help him the best I can. As I said,I am giving him my pc, it is newer. But thank you for your time, I am truly sorry I wasted your time tho.

Yeah the problem is you say you gave your son your computer and it's newer...well newer does not tell us anything. Anything between 1yr and 10yrs old could be what your referring to as newer, and without a good video card, your not going to be able to play that game.

We need to know what cpu, power supply, memory, etc it has to be able to suggest anything to you.

The PS3 was not sarcasm, it was a real suggestion. If he already has a PS3 and a Xbox, why on Earth would he want to play it on a older pc??? Makes no sense to me, take the game back and get the PS3 version.

vlearms

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

He has the other version, but tells me he has more options and can do more on the one on the pc.

ram1009

Distinguished
The kid is right, consoles suck big time however the responders are right also. The computers you have aren't going to run current games well. I've checked the requirements for your game of interest and the minimum video card required should not cost over $100. Check www.newegg.com. Are you sure your CPU is powerful enough?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

This site is for EVERYONE, even people that barely speak english get help here There are some threads pinned to the top of the forum page titled "Read First" and "How to ask for advise about choosing a new GPU" that might prevent you from getting your feelings hurt by impatient people in the future.

vlearms

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

it says 1.353 volts is that what you mean?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Ok, you have a single core prescott Pentium 4 at 3.0 ghz which does not meet the minimum system requirements for the game regardless of what your video card is, you need a dual core pentium e5200 at the very least.

It would be possible to upgrade since you have a 775 socket, but probably not worth it, you are better of buying or building a new machine.

Your link doesn't work. So we still have no idea what either of them are. Tell him the PS3 is what he gets, it cost's too much to upgrade the computer so you can play in low-med quality when you can play in high quality on the PS3.