Is PCIe 3.0 enough bandwidth for 4K 144hz or should I wait for PCIe 4.0?

kbryner

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
So I have a dilemma, about a month ago my power supply fried my motherboard and most of the components. I need a new computer because I'm without one right now, but the original plan was to wait until PCIe 4.0 came out to upgrade from my Ivy bridge system. My plan was to get the best consumer grade CPU for gaming at the time of upgrade and then upgrade my GPU with a mid range card every two years. I want my system to last at least five years and my eventual goal was to have a system that could provide enough bandwidth for 144hz on a 4K monitor for future proofing. I'm looking at the I7-8700k right now which should suit my needs for the next five years, the only thing I'm worried about is PCIe 3.0 on the motherboards with that chipset...I know that PCIe 2.0 is only now getting pushed to it's limits but the desktop PC market has been stagnant for the last few years. All indications right now are that components are going to get upgraded by a larger margin then they have been in previous years. Plus if VR ever becomes mainstream I want a system that's going to be able to handle it. So my question is, does PCIe 3.0 have enough bandwidth to handle all the criteria I set out?

Solution
Let's put it this way: PCIe x2 is not bottlenecking anything still. PCIe revisions have nothing to do with bottlenecking. And don't worry about futureproof; it'll lead to decision paralysis.

kbryner

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017

Lol decision paralysis couldn't be more true...