Is PhysX fair?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

What? Do you want them to do cartwheels for me? Say what a wonderful person I am? Dude, none of us guys really give 2 s**ts what anyone thinks - we're just all on here chatting and cutting up. Personally, I never cared. And I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about me, but if they were the type of person to judge me, then they really don't matter, anyway.

I really think you have me figured wrong, especially if you think I care. And if you think Tom's Hardware is a place where people go to make people feel good about themselves and "say good words about people", then you are sad.

Personally, I don't want anyone to say a good thing about me, because nobody on here knows me.

So spare me.

You...I never really had that much of a problem with you. I do tolerate you. You seemed nice enough, and I always tried to be nice to you. It's just the kind of person I am.

A few times you "corrected me" as well as other people for saying things that you thought were arrogant or wrong. And I humbly accepted it, because I know you are young.

I think you put a lot of stock in yourself, kid. You really don't have a lot of say.

G'day!

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
it might ass some frames for PhysX and if you have it then try it, I prefer something a little more current and stronger.
back in the day the 8800GT was the card of cards though...

I might better hold off until I know a little bit more about that kind of thing.

I am thinking about it trying it, though.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I believe the 8800 would certainly be a peppy card for dedicated PhysX. Honestly, there's no end to options qua GPU's for PhysX. Guess you'll need to draw the line as to where you feel satisfied. For some a 9600 would suffice and then for some even a 570 would seem less! :p Imo therefore, its all down to personal pref's and requirements.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

For me, it is just my paranoia of knowing absolutely nothing of getting an Nvidia card to work with AMD cards. I have no way of knowing if some Nvidia cards work better for that particular task, it the 8800 is hard when it comes to that, if they are all the same, if it would work with my motherboard, if it would work considering my setup - I have never even used an Nvidia card, let alone tried to get it to work in that capacity. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing, I don't know.

I pride myself in knowing enough about computers to build and fix them, but truth be told, I really don't know that much. And I don't have the kind of money to experiment if I am not certain I can get it to work.

I am sorely tempted.

Hey, my ASUS P8Z68-V Pro is filled up, big time. I am not sure if I could add another card. I know "theoretically" I can, but realistically...these two 6970's are almost touching each other they are so big. I have almost 0 room on either side.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
but I'd try a single slot lower powered card, one that doesn't require connector (power plug) hence the recommendation of the GT 240/440 if you had one.
even the 9600GT (if not the low powered version) requires 1 6-pin plug.

but then you have a 1000-watt Seasonic...
it's hard to beat that.
I'd say it can run CF-X 6970's and a decent nVidia card.

Thanks a lot.

The question is, will it fit?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
it's not that big of a deal to be paranoid....
and to be honest start a thread on Tom's or heck just send me a PM....
simple as that.

Thanks man. I just bookmarked your homepage and when I get ready to get the card I will start a thread and PM you.

I am going to do it. PhysX kicks a** in the two Batman games and I love those games - not to mention whatever else may come out. To me, it's worth it.

Thanks again.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
my SLI set-up sits close to each other so I know how 'noided' I can be about temps.
I tho have a mATX board for my gamer unit.
I think what might hold you back is that case but then I really don't remember if it's big enough for 3- dual slot GPU's.
2 - dual slot is of course fine but I didn't try three in my CM 430.

I could "alter" the case, but I really don't want dust getting on my components.

That is why I am so reluctant about this. If I knew I could get it to work or had a little bit more confidence I would try it, but I am looking at the cost of the PhysX card, the cost of a new case, and the time and work it will take to gut my PC and rebuild it (or for the most part rebuild it). That is a lot to have to face without a guarantee.

But you are right in everything you say - and I will need a new case, there is no doubt about that. This case...it's just bad.

agawtrip

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Physx is now nvidia's technology.
would you let you competitor to use your own technology for their own benefits?

putting physx into CPU is developer's problem, not nvidia's. there are other "physics" option. blame the developer for choosing physx.

easy right?

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

lol.

I'm not sure when you are more amusing........when you're on your hands and knees, begging for Mousemonkeys forgivness or when you're trying/ failing badly at acting the big man.

Trying to throw your weight around isn't going to work when you've been embarrassing and degrading yourself in 90% of your posts since you joined here.

Either way PCgamer don't go anywhere, your threads and posts give me lots of entertainment.

Pretty sure ~100 CUDA cores is ideal as it won't cause any severe bottlenecks. I think 150 is around the golden number to completely alleviate bottlenecks.

However, you are mostly going to be limited because the PCIe16_3 slot is at 4x max, and shares bandwidth with the two PCIe1x slots and USB and eSATA.
2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1
2 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI

*1: The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot, USB3_34 and eSATA. The PCIe x16_3 default setting is in x1 mode.

This is pretty similar to how my Asus P7P55D Pro works, and my GT 240 is not able to fully max out due to bandwidth limitations. It can hit around 84%. I also do have a sound card in one of the 1x slots, so I guess I lose a little bandwidth there. The point is, just get something cheap and not too powerful because you won't even be able to utilize it properly anyway.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Dude, I don't degrade myself. I don't pretend to be something I am not; if I feel I lack knowledge in a particular area, I have no problem admitting it. I am not out to impress people. I am honest about any shortcomings - just because this is the internet doesn't mean that we aren't real people where our conduct matters. I am one of the most down to earth people you would ever meet, man. I am very forgiving, and I like people very much - although I can get a temper when I feel I am disrespected. Just because people are online doesn't mean I take it any less serious. I expect people to be cool.

As far as Mouse Monkey, and me being "on my hands and knees begging for his forgiveness", I don't blame you for that exaggeration because you don't know the facts...

I was not apologizing to Mouse Monkey for the arguing, I was apologizing to him because I reported him to another moderator for threatening a ban. The reason I apologized was because I overlooked something and was too hasty - I was afraid I was about to be banned. He was joking, and I reported him. I did feel bad about that. That is a pretty bad thing to do, although I did misunderstand, I naturally felt terrible.

You say that I throw my weight around, well, I'm really not sure as to what you are referring to. But I certainly don't mean to offend anyone, nor do I wish to sound arrogant of authoritative in any way, shape, or form. If I have offended you, I apologize.

You know, I can be a pretty real person on the internet. I try not to be portray myself different, or treat people differently just because I cannot see them or touch them. I understand that they are real people on the other side, you know, not just words in my computer. As such, I do try to be fair. And I guess I also get offended easier, seeing as how I see things that way.

In any case, sorry if I offended you in any way. I say we call a truce and let bygones be bygones - life's too short to sweat the small stuff, and no sense in having tension and animosity on Tom's Hardware of all places. ;)

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I know what I have been missing in the way of PhysX, seeing as how I have seen the videos!

I know about the better drivers and compatibility, but I wouldn't know anything about instillation or the technical stuff.

Perhaps you should try it at some point, I've tried the ATi card thing in the past which is why I won't go down that road again with my own money or my own rigs but if you haven't tried the other side how do you know if it's something you wouldn't like?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Well, I originally chose the 6970 because I would get Dirt 3 free with it.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have chose the 570 to save myself the driver issues and such. But something good did come of it, I have learned a whole lot about how to seriously tweak games and mess with drivers and other stuff - albeit out of necessity. Every PC I had before this one was either an HP or a laptop, and I have only been gaming on PC since '04. I felt it was time to build one.

However, I do tell people who ask for advice on building a rig to go with Nvidia. It is a lot more user friendly.

For my next build, I probably will go Nvidia, seeing as how the GTX600 series may very well blow AMD's 7000 series away.

In the mean time, I am thinking about adding an 8800 - if I can figure things out, that is.

I tried the demo of Dirt 1 and was really unimpressed with it as a driving game, so much so that I haven't even bothered to see what 2 or 3 were like.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I played it for couple of hours - just long enough to beat all the single player races and mess around online a little.

When I found out that 100% completion is not possible unless you purchase all of the DLC, I got ticked off and said to hell with it.

It isn't worth the $49.99/£35 they want for it. Not even close.

I really liked Dirt 1. Dirt 2 made some nice improvements in some places, worse in others, but overall I liked it enough to platinum it on PS3 (this was in between PCs). Dirt 3, the only redeeming quality was Gymkhana. All in all, I'm very disappointed in recent Codemaster games. I've started replaying Race Driver GRID instead, and I might just fire up Gran Turismo 5 again.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Unfortunately, I have an Xbox 360 and not a PS3. So for me, the closest I can get to sim racing is Forza 4.

You are right about Dirt 3, it sucks. I never played Dirt 1 or 2, but I did play it back when it was called "Colin McRae Rally". Colin McRae 2005 is perhaps the best rally game ever made, and this coming from someone who probably put 200 hours (or more) into A-Spec's Rally mode (seriously).

Oh I don't know, Top Gear Rally 2 on N64 was pretty damn awesome! It had "realistic" damage!