[SOLVED] Is planned new case and PSU okay for my system ?

ScreperisLT

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Hello, I am planning to buy either Phanteks P300A or P400A. Both of those cases use USB 3.0 on the front panel. The problem is, that my motherboard doesn't have any USB 3.0 headers, but it has a USB 2.0 header. Could I buy an adapter to make those two USB 3.0 ports work on the front of the case? If so, is it safe to use? Is it safe installing Windows 10 through that port without getting the OS corrupted? I don't really care about speed, so there is no problem with that. I will probably buy a new motherboard along with a cpu next year, so this would be only temporary.

The adapter I am planning to buy : https://prnt.sc/dAkB0aux50V7

The next thing I am worried about is the PSU. Along with the case I am planning to buy a Cooler Master V750 Gold V2 Power Supply, since my current one is trash and I also want to future proof my system. It says that it is 160mm long and the Phanteks P300A case supports up to 160mm aswell. Will there be any space for my cables coming from the PSU? If not, I will probably just buy the Phanteks P400A, since it has a 270mm long PSU support.

My current system specs :

PSU : Chieftec GPS-500A8 500W
GPU : Asus GTX 1050 Ti Expedition
MB : Intel DH61WW
CPU : Intel Core i7-2600
Case : Unbranded, cheap and with horrible airflow
SSD : 240GB Kingston A400
HDD : 1TB 7200RPM
RAM : 2 + 8 GB ( 10GB in total ) 1333Mhz G.Skill DDR3

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Concerning physical fitment, a USB 3 port is exactly the same type-A connection as a USB 2 port. The only difference being mostly the color of plastic used (blue vs black) and the beefier wiring used for higher transmission without loss.

So the only place you'd need an adapter would be a 2x USB 2 to 1x USB 3 male to attach 2x motherboard headers to the single USB 3 connector at the case.