Is proprietary memory needed for Compaq computer?

I have a Compaq Presario which I believe uses PC2700 ram. It only has
256 megs of ram (1 stick) and I would like to put in another stick. Can
I put in Kingston, Corsair etc memory or must I install Compaq
proprietary ram if there is such a thing?

Ron

I've had success with the cheapest memory I could find in
compaq's. Never had a problem.

Sometimes a machine wants a fixed value in the first memory
location. Other than that, who still makes 'proprietary' ram
and saves money?

Some machines want the contacts to be of a particular
material that is more compatible with the slot. This would be
to maintain a higher signal to noise ratio. All computers
have a reliability number determined by the S/N ratio. But
desktop users typically don't need numbers anywhere near so
high. IOW the material on those electrical contacts become
irrelevant to desktop users. Memory is therefore a commodity.

Rockin Ronnie wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario which I believe uses PC2700 ram. It only has
> 256 megs of ram (1 stick) and I would like to put in another stick. Can
> I put in Kingston, Corsair etc memory or must I install Compaq
> proprietary ram if there is such a thing?
>
> Ron

Rockin Ronnie:

> Can I put in Kingston, Corsair etc memory or must I install Compaq
> proprietary ram if there is such a thing?

Try the memory selectors at:
http://www.kingston.com/
http://www.crucial.com/

All the memory companies should have memory that is compatible with your
machine unless it uses something odd. It's possible that you might just
purchase memory off the shelf and have it work and it's possible that it
may not work.
--
Mac Cool

Rockin Ronnie wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario which I believe uses PC2700 ram. It only has
> 256 megs of ram (1 stick) and I would like to put in another stick. Can
> I put in Kingston, Corsair etc memory or must I install Compaq
> proprietary ram if there is such a thing?
>
> Ron

Go to www.crucial.com and get the exact memory you need.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

No one should order RAM from Compaq. They charge an arm and a leg
for it, or used to, when I owned one of their machines. RAM is
RAM. As long as it meets the requirements of the motherboard, it
will work. There's nothing magic about Compaq RAM except the
price. And that's diabolical.

spodosaurus wrote:
> Rockin Ronnie wrote:
>
>> I have a Compaq Presario which I believe uses PC2700 ram. It only has
>> 256 megs of ram (1 stick) and I would like to put in another stick.
>> Can I put in Kingston, Corsair etc memory or must I install Compaq
>> proprietary ram if there is such a thing?
>>
>> Ron
>

> Go to www.crucial.com and get the exact memory you need.

Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful as usual in this NG.

Ron

TRENDING THREADS