Is psu half dead or still living??? (Paperclip Test)

mybase090

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
So I ran into a common problem alot of ppl are having... PC turns on for split second then shuts down. I read many forums here and others but can't find the solution.

So my prob: sometimes work good for 2 weeks 2-3 hours a day, no problem and just 1 unlucky day it will randomly shutdown whether it's play game or normal work. When this happens, it will boot back to windows then shutdown. Sometimes is just shutdown and enter a startup loop. So I just flip off the switch on PSU and if i try to turn it on, it will just turn on for split second and shuts off.

When this happened I unplugged everything from the (Fully Modular) PSU except the 24 pin connector and did the paper clip test, and it will just turn on for split second and shut off with the paperclip still inside. Sometimes it turns on for 2-3 minutes and shuts down.

In order to get it working again, I have to leave the cable unplugged from PSU overnight just to get it to work for a few days until it decides to randomly shutdown on me again.

Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte Arous GTX 1060 6gb

CPU: i7-8700k| Mobo: Gigabyte z370xp sli gaming

PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w 80+ gold

Ram: 2x8gb ballistix ddr4 2666mhz

Have the PSU 4 months now so is the PSU dead and I just wasted $150???

Talk to seasonic in that case, almost everywhere gives 12 months, the 30 days might just be for return as opposed to a swap/repair for a fault, they won't bother repairing.

mybase090

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
I just spoke to one of the agent and they said that they only give 90 days. I bought it from Amazon and if I speak to seaconic and they offer replacement, how do I get it to them if the shipping agent will not accept it? Sorry for being a noob about this but would like the get something back. Thanks for ur response ;)

Talk to amazon first of all they are generally really good about stuff like this, they may even arrange collection, they do in the UK sometimes. If not talk to seasonic and you may have to post it, they will give you an address and a reference number, age just use the past office, or another delivery service.

It is worth noting however that the paperclip test will prove nothing in a psu with a temp or load controlled fan that can switch off, as all you would see is the fan turn for long enough for the sensing circuits to decide it needs to be off. Which may be what you are seeing. Leaving the culprit as something else. That's all from me, need to sleep.

mybase090

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Ok I spoke to a seasonic support technician and he said to rma it. So I thinking of buying a new psu and see if if I can send it back.

PS: I did connect a case fan to the PSU when it happens and all shutdown.

Latest posts